Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really wanna learn how to DJ but I have no idea how to get into it, I don't know anyone directly who's a DJ....how do I go about pursuing this?

ReputationRep:
    If you're a girl, learn how to BJ first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FattyInNeed)
    If you're a girl, learn how to BJ first.
    deep.

I'll have you know I have quite a good musical knowledge

ReputationRep:
    I mix dnb and hip hop on vinyl. Most studenty clubs will have CDJs and will demand very precise music for the venue if your talking about pursuing it as a career or a little earner... if you just want a hobby it is very good fun regardless.

What music do you want to mix? Whats your budget?

ReputationRep:
    Buy some decks, learn how to use them, then just put in the time.

ReputationRep:
    DJ Hero.

:borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    I mix dnb and hip hop on vinyl. Most studenty clubs will have CDJs and will demand very precise music for the venue if your talking about pursuing it as a career or a little earner... if you just want a hobby it is very good fun regardless.

What music do you want to mix? Whats your budget?
    I want to mix Garage tunes with Dubstep. My budget is so low, I don't think I'll be able to afford any equipment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)
    I want to mix Garage tunes with Dubstep. My budget is so low, I don't think I'll be able to afford any equipment
    Well if you don't have any money to spend on real equipment, your best bet is to try and download Ableton then mix on your computer.

ReputationRep:
    I am the same as well I want to DJ but my budget is zero lol, i know a few dj's but not well enough to speak to them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GGSTRT)
    I am the same as well I want to DJ but my budget is zero lol, i know a few dj's but not well enough to speak to them...
    Lol yep, even if I did know some DJ's I would feel quite odd asking seeing as DJing is such a male-dominated society. The one or two female DJ'S I've ever seen DJ at kids' parties LOL

ReputationRep:
    lol it doesnt matter whether you mare male or female I mean if you are good then you are good and I am pretty sure there are female DJ's around I am sure I have heard of a few, you just have to do your research and raise a few £'s lol to buy decks

ReputationRep:
    Well theres 3 main formats to mix on

Vinyl - the most enjoyable format but is expensive to buy records, but if you invest in a pair of technic or similar quality decks you wont ever need to buy another pair.

Cd's - you get more tracks for your money which means you can expand your collection easier but a top quality CDJ is almost three times the price of a vinyl turnable so the cost is initially more expensive but if you go for option 3 which is making the CDJ useless IMO...

MP3 - you can either buy vinyl turntables and mix with MP3 software like Serato or invest in a virtual dj type system but thats only used by bedroom dj;s.

Most garage is on vinyl and the majority that is now called bassline is mp3, most dubstep is either mp3 (the crap tunes IMO) and vinyl (best tunes get a proper release IMO)

On your budget points, unless your happy getting a free copy of average software you will have to invest around £100 - £400 for MP3, £300+ for vinyl or £500+ for CDJs if you want the benefits of being able to mix on a quality system without worrying about technical inferiority, time lags, faults etc.

ReputationRep:
    I really wanna learn how to DJ but I have no idea how to get into it, I don't know anyone directly who's a DJ....how do I go about pursuing this?
    Id recommend just downloading a copy of Traktor first. Play around with it, get used to it, do some mixes on there. I played around with it for about 6 months before I was properly confident with it.

I bought a Numark Total Control recently (New for £100 if your wondering). Will be upgrading soon again

Problem with DJ'ing is its SO expensive. For 2 entry level CDJ's and a mixer, your looking at about £300 second hand, at a push

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.