Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

March of Resistance to Education & Public Sector Cuts Announced: 20 December, London Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=179218858770566

THE LINK ABOVE IS THE OFFICIAL FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE!

PLEASE INVITE EVERYONE! THIS IS THE LAST MARCH OF THIS YEAR.

THE POLL TAX WAS OVERTURNED AFTER PROTESTS THAT ENSUED. SO WILL BE THE TUITION FEES!

THIS TIME IT'S STUDENTS AND PUBLIC SECTOR WORKERS UNITED TOGETHER. OVER 20'000 PEOPLE INVITED IN THE LAST 24 HOURS! OVER 50 STUDENT UNIONS CONTACTED! OVER 10 TRADE UNIONS INVOLVED. THIS WILL BE THE BIGGEST MARCH OF THE YEAR!

INVITE EVERYBODY! THIS MARCH WILL TAKE PLACE DURING WINTER HOLIDAYS, SO WE EXPECT A LOT MORE PEOPLE AND WE HOPE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO COME!

REMEMBER THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU, ME OR HIM, THIS IS ABOUT US! GENERATIONS OF FUTURE STUDENTS WILL BE UNABLE TO GET EDUCATION WITHOUT GETTING INTO MASSIVE DEBT!

MORE. STRONGER, UNITED.

PROMOTE AND ADVERTISE THIS PLEASE, BY PUTTING THE PICTURE IN YOUR SIGNATURE.

INVITE ALL PEOPLE YOU KNOW!

THANKS.

Monday 20 December, 2010.
    12:00 Piccadilly Circus, London

March of Resistance to Education Cuts.

The MPs have broken their pledges!

They thought they won. Let's prove them wrong!

This is a national march in Central London.

This time we shall make a difference!

Invite everyone!

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO OUR EDUCATION!
    THIS IS POOR STUDENTS DISCRIMINATION!

The date is fixed on the 20th of December, so everyone come down to London. We meet at Piccadilly Circus at 12:00 and then we are going through the central London streets, where the police will find it difficult to kettle us.

This event is organised with help of The National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts, The National Union of Students, London University Student Union, RMT and multiple national unions and organisations.

ReputationRep:
    Boring. Police have confirmed that next protest they will use a "intrusive and robust approach"

ReputationRep:
    Are people still going on about this?

ReputationRep:
    So close to Christmas? Why not make it for the new year. Students who live outside London can't afford travel costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_13th)
    LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO OUR EDUCATION!
    THIS IS POOR STUDENTS DISCRIMINATION!
    What utter *******s.

If the measures discriminate against anyone , it is the children of middle-income families, not poor enough to get one or more years of their fees paid for, but not rich enough to have any parental help in paying them off. This actually comprises the vast majority of the student popultation (including myself).

Why should coming from a low-income background effect your employment after graduation? It won't, and hence I don't see how giving away free years of tuition to those from low income families makes sense.

That said, so few of the people who attend these glorified street fights seem to know the details of what they're protesting against, I doubt any of your fellow rioters would be able to point that out. They'll be too busy vandalising public buildings and shouting "**** tories" a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Evening good sir, I believe you dropped something on your way to making this thread:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1488014

Don't you recognise it? It's your original thread, about the exact same thing.

Abandoned it because you couldn't take a bit of argument? Hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    I'll make sure my water gun is filled with petrol And I'll get a few glass bottles ready too! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    This probably set out with good intentions, but its obvious that a few bad eggs will ruin the whole event and get all the attention. I will still go anyway, hopefully there will be more peaceful people.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    I'll make sure my water gun is filled with petrol And I'll get a few glass bottles ready too! :lol:

Good luck with that. You won't make it to the station alive.

ReputationRep:
    Erm aren't you forgetting that the Poll Tax just re-emerged a couple years down the line with the Council Tax, which is essentially the Poll Tax just in a cuddlier form.

Give it up, you've lost. The last thing students need is another random assortment of anarchists and middle class tossers rampaging through Central London, scaring our royal horse, desecreating the statue of Winston and the Cenotaph and generally giving students a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    I think student 'protesters' lost any hope of public sympathy when they started to desecrate the Cenotaph.

ReputationRep:
    Or not.

I hate to break it to you, but you're not gonna win.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully our protesters will take lessons from France. May make it more interesting and effective.

ReputationRep:
    anyone seen the film 'battle royale'?

anyone think that it offers an insight into what the government could do to if there are further unrests amongst students here? :eek3:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Hopefully our protesters will take lessons from France. May make it more interesting and effective.
    You mean the protests that lead to the government becoming more hard-line and passing the pension law anyway?

Maybe our police should be more like the French and just tear gas the *******s. SHow them a taste of real police brutality.

Our police our a soft touch. Plenty of other countries would have used a mix of tear gas rubber bullets and water cannon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    anyone seen the film 'battle royale'?

anyone think that it offers an insight into what the government could do to if there are further unrests amongst students here? :eek3:
    If only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twl)
    So close to Christmas? Why not make it for the new year. Students who live outside London can't afford travel costs.

Use national express coaches. You can get tickets in advance (funfares) a lot cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    We could certainly borrow their fervour!

ReputationRep:
    However organises these protest is so DUMB, why not do it on new years eve? million other people will be there. yOU WANT TO CAUSE ATTENTION?

PERFECT TIME! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm working in London that day, if you end up causing me travel disruption I will not be happy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.