The Student Room Group

Good Pet for a Student

Moving into a house next year, I would really like a pet, been wanting one for a LONG time but... mum can't stand them :>

Any ideas? Something low maintenance but likes a good stroking everything now and again! No cats or dogs as per the landlords orders :frown:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scroll to see replies

Rats make nice pets if you can stand the smell, although it isn't as bad as people make out as they tend to be quite clean. They're very intelligent animals and better than any hamster.

:smile:
Rats make superb pets :smile: They're so sweet and very intelligent, and MUCH cleaner than hamsters and mice. They also really don't smell, provided you clean the cage properly, particularly if you get females (which is recommended).
Or Degu, which are like chinchilla/rat type animals :smile: They are adorable, but I ould advise you to get one thats tame already as they are difficult to train (imo)
Reply 4
A house rabbit. :smile:
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
A house rabbit. :smile:

Lol that is pretty cute.
Reply 6
a goldfish and a stuffed bear for the petting.
I really wouldn't recommend getting a pet at all in your student years, but if you must get one, something small and manageable like a hamster or goldfish would be best.
Reply 8
A house rabbit. :smile: ]

Uhm, won't that just crap everywhere?
Original post by Empire08

you train them to use a litter box :smile: well that is what we did anyway
Original post by Empire08

No. He's toilet trained.
Reply 11
hey guys i have two leopard geckos, that ive had for a couple of years, they live in a 45*45cm cage, would they be able to go in my student accomodation next year? :P
Fish, geckos, lizards, spiders, hamsters, etc. You want a pet that is fine on it's own for a while and doesn't take up too much space whilst not producing much mess.
Original post by bambamty
hey guys i have two leopard geckos, that ive had for a couple of years, they live in a 45*45cm cage, would they be able to go in my student accomodation next year? :P

no.
Reply 14
Sea Monkeys- They're very cheap and only need feeding once a week.
Reply 15
no.

oh norr, there ace! i dont wna give them up!
Original post by bambamty
oh norr, there ace! i dont wna give them up!

Aw. Well no pets are aloud in the halls. Uess you like befriend a ladybug or something :tongue:
Your parents can look after it?
I'd check if your Landlord allows pets 1st. Then either a rodent or fish would be a good bet. Rats are amazing to have :smile:
Reply 18
Slow lorris.

Most awesome animal ever.
Reply 19
Another vote for rat. How could you say no to this? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest