Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a third year so I should know this, but referencing has always confused me. Obviously I know to include all used works in the bibliography, but I always come unstuck as to when to reference in the essay (footnotes). Is this about right:

-Well known event, statement of facts that have happened (not needed)
    -Quotes, paraphrasing, specific statistics (needed)

For example I've taken notes describing the general events of a certain international debate, is this common knowledge or would sources still have to be cited?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the type of essay and the subject

Based on my experience in law, for coursework etc. then you will be footnoting extensively. The basic idea is that you have evidence for every statement you make. No assertions. If something is blatently obvious, then you don't need a footnote, but if there can be any doubt whatsoever then footnote.

In general essays done throughout the year, I wouldn't footnote at all. This is because the subjects were assessed by exam, and I'm hardly going to use footnotes in the exam - evidence went in the body of the essay, like it would in the exam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.