Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Do You Fail A Squat? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I'm bench pressing (with a spotter) I normally go to failure, and need assistance with the last rep. However when I squat I dont feel so safe, I rarely use a spotter, because there not that helpful unless you have 2 guys at the end of the barbell.

I squat in a power cage, which has safety pins which i put just below the depth of my (parallel) squat.

I understand if I can't get out of the hole, i'm supposed to sink down lower and put it on the pins I tried this out with just the bar for practise. But i felt it put strain on my upper back and neck kind of as i twisted to a very low position.

Is simply letting the bar slide off your back if you cant lift it an option? or could that break a guys back?

ReputationRep:
    This is why I do my squats in front of my body, in the power cage I can then keep doing squats to failure, also the flooring is quite soft with me so if I fail I can let go of the wait to the safety pins and just fall backwards onto the floor. Not only does doing the squats at the front help with this, it also helps with balance, strength in your wrist,chest and shoulders and stops as much pressure being put on the knees.

get to know your body and know when you're going to fail a rep, that way it can be avoided

thats what I do

or get a reliable spotter who knows how you work

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by commandant)
      get to know your body and know when you're going to fail a rep, that way it can be avoided

thats what I do

or get a reliable spotter who knows how you work
      my new training programme (texas method) involves lots of 3,2 and 1 RM work though, so i cant say for certain when im going to fail

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by xc1991)
      When I'm bench pressing (with a spotter) I normally go to failure, and need assistance with the last rep. However when I squat I dont feel so safe, I rarely use a spohttp://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=28867 226tter, because there not that helpful unless you have 2 guys at the end of the barbell.

I squat in a power cage, which has safety pins which i put just below the depth of my (parallel) squat.

I understand if I can't get out of the hole, i'm supposed to sink down lower and put it on the pins I tried this out with just the bar for practise. But i felt it put strain on my upper back and neck kind of as i twisted to a very low position.

Is simply letting the bar slide off your back if you cant lift it an option? or could that break a guys back?
      I remeber when I first started squatting and I failed trying to get up. I just let the bar slip off of my back and it fell on the safety pins and I flew forward onto my knees. But I was fine, no back problems or anything. Although at the time I was only squatting 120kg, so it might be a different story with a heavier weight. Just don't fail is my only suggestion. You should know if you are going to fail or not anyway.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by xc1991)
      When I'm bench pressing (with a spotter) I normally go to failure, and need assistance with the last rep. However when I squat I dont feel so safe, I rarely use a spotter, because there not that helpful unless you have 2 guys at the end of the barbell.

Exactly what you said at the end. If you fail the squat when your parallel, and the safety pins are just below, simply bend forward slightly and push/let the bar go backwards and fall a few inches to the pins, and fall forward.

Like other people have said, know what your limits are so you have an idea when you think you may fail. And get a good spotter.

ReputationRep:
      If you set the pins correctly they'll be a little below parallel height for you so easy to just drop down onto the pins. If you squat highbar oly style then typically you just dump it onto the platform

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.