Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums and have a question I'd like to pose to the floor.

I'm a 21 year old final year psychology student (Bsc) predicted a 1st. I applied to do graduate MBBS and have received 2 rejections already. My UKCAT was top 30% and with most places rejecting those below top 25% I don't like my chances for the remaining 2 options I have open.

So I've been looking at back up plans and after speaking with my Professor on Friday he said he'd be happy to supervise me to do a Phd with a good chance of some funding and a small income for doing some teaching within the university.

Should my application fall through and I take the Phd offer up I'd still like to do a medical degree as that is where my main interest and passion lies.

I was just wondering what your opinions were as to whether a 2-4 year Phd was worth doing, bearing in mind I'd most likely use it to re-apply to medical school. Or would I better working/doing a masters degree and applying for medicine in the next cycle?

I guess I'm wondering if a Phd would improve my application chances, and if I totally change my mind about medicine whether a Phd is generally worth doing for employment?

Phd is essential for becoming a chartered psychologist, but I don't think that is a long term goal I'm overly interested in.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinatrafan)
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums and have a question I'd like to pose to the floor.

I'm a 21 year old final year psychology student (Bsc) predicted a 1st. I applied to do graduate MBBS and have received 2 rejections already. My UKCAT was top 30% and with most places rejecting those below top 25% I don't like my chances for the remaining 2 options I have open.

So I've been looking at back up plans and after speaking with my Professor on Friday he said he'd be happy to supervise me to do a Phd with a good chance of some funding and a small income for doing some teaching within the university.

Should my application fall through and I take the Phd offer up I'd still like to do a medical degree as that is where my main interest and passion lies.

I was just wondering what your opinions were as to whether a 2-4 year Phd was worth doing, bearing in mind I'd most likely use it to re-apply to medical school. Or would I better working/doing a masters degree and applying for medicine in the next cycle?

I guess I'm wondering if a Phd would improve my application chances, and if I totally change my mind about medicine whether a Phd is generally worth doing for employment?

Phd is essential for becoming a chartered psychologist, but I don't think that is a long term goal I'm overly interested in.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
    What was your UKCAT and where did you apply?

You would be better off working for a year and applying again. PhDs are very expensive if you're not funded and you're potentially looking at £9k fees for 2012 onwards. I don't think a PhD is worth it just to increase your appeal to medical schools. You're better off working as a HCA or something. Plus that way you can earn some cash too.

And finally, a PhD is not essential for chartership. It doesn't qualify you to practice as a Psychologist. You need a doctorate for that, which is a vocational training program, whereas a PhD is a research degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    What was your UKCAT and where did you apply?

You would be better off working for a year and applying again. PhDs are very expensive if you're not funded and you're potentially looking at £9k fees for 2012 onwards. I don't think a PhD is worth it just to increase your appeal to medical schools. You're better off working as a HCA or something. Plus that way you can earn some cash too.

And finally, a PhD is not essential for chartership. It doesn't qualify you to practice as a Psychologist. You need a doctorate for that, which is a vocational training program, whereas a PhD is a research degree.
    I got 645 with Newcastle and Kings as my remaining options, so I think my chances are most likely out the water. I haven't seen the score plot for this year but based on previous years I'm assuming that falls somewhere between the top 30-40%.

A slight misuse of my words. I was referring to the need for a Phd to become registered with the BPS as a chartered psychologist in the field of teaching and research.

ReputationRep:
    Don't embark on 4 years of research if that isn't what you really want to do at the start because you won't make it to the end.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.