The Student Room Group

Job help!!!

Well I created a CV, Cover letter etc. I tried everything to try and get a job. Internet, friends and family, going to shops etc. Been doing this for three years and I got zilch. I need help and advice on what to do. I changed my CV layout three times as well and still somehow no-one would take me in. Is there anyone can advise me on because I'm desperate to find a job!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you had any interviews? after not getting the job getting feedback as to why you didn't is a good way of working on weaknesses.
did you fit the job descriptions?
Original post by Purple Haze
Have you had any interviews? after not getting the job getting feedback as to why you didn't is a good way of working on weaknesses.
did you fit the job descriptions?

no not even interviews... They send me emails that I was unsuccessful and because there were too many applicants, they can't get back to me with feedback. I just don't understand as I fit there job description perfectly yet they don't want me. Some don't even get back to me at all!
Reply 3
What kind of vacancies have you been applying for?
Are you a university graduate?
Original post by IcEmAn911
What kind of vacancies have you been applying for?
Are you a university graduate?

I have been applying for part-time vacancies because I'm in the first year of University
Reply 5
Original post by dedicated_titan91
Well I created a CV, Cover letter etc. I tried everything to try and get a job. Internet, friends and family, going to shops etc. Been doing this for three years and I got zilch. I need help and advice on what to do. I changed my CV layout three times as well and still somehow no-one would take me in. Is there anyone can advise me on because I'm desperate to find a job!!

3 years? do you have a mild case of downs syndrome? how the hell cant you get a job in three years?
Reply 6
no not even interviews... They send me emails that I was unsuccessful and because there were too many applicants, they can't get back to me with feedback. I just don't understand as I fit there job description perfectly yet they don't want me. Some don't even get back to me at all!

Oh i see, where about were u looking for work? Do you have experience in the roles u are applying for?
Oh i see, where about were u looking for work? Do you have experience in the roles u are applying for?

I've been looking mostly on jobe sites but these days I go out to hand in CVs and that. Yes I do but I just dn't understand why they don't get back to me. I seriously think its my CV but yet I just do not know
Reply 8
I have had this same problem aswell though I am in the second year of 6th form
Just keep trying and mabye broaden your horizons a bit, as in do jobs you originally wouldnt do
Original post by GGSTRT
I have had this same problem aswell though I am in the second year of 6th form
Just keep trying and mabye broaden your horizons a bit, as in do jobs you originally wouldnt do

have you found a job then? Trust me I have tried that and still it doesn't work.
I've been looking mostly on jobe sites but these days I go out to hand in CVs and that. Yes I do but I just dn't understand why they don't get back to me. I seriously think its my CV but yet I just do not know

Its probablty best to hand out cvs in person rather than email unless obviously its the only way to contact them.
Do you not have an employment agency at your uni? Maybe get your cv checked over by careers service if you have one? Im sure they will be able to help you a bit more.
Its probablty best to hand out cvs in person rather than email unless obviously its the only way to contact them.
Do you not have an employment agency at your uni? Maybe get your cv checked over by careers service if you have one? Im sure they will be able to help you a bit more.

Yeah my Uni has one but it didn't help me much. I'm going again on Monday but I don't think I'll find anything. I just hope luck is on my side. Most of my friends work and somehow they found jobs quicker than me and they have no experience!
Reply 12
have you found a job then? Trust me I have tried that and still it doesn't work.

I still havent got a job yet but i have applied to a few more places so hopefully I hear from them soon. My dad said to me that is is not necessarily important that you get a job in your 1st year as its important to pass your 1st year to progress onto second year, something like that, but whether you want to do that is up to you i guess lol
have you tried applying for a job in your uni e.g student ambassador?
Original post by GGSTRT
I still havent got a job yet but i have applied to a few more places so hopefully I hear from them soon. My dad said to me that is is not necessarily important that you get a job in your 1st year as its important to pass your 1st year to progress onto second year, something like that, but whether you want to do that is up to you i guess lol
have you tried applying for a job in your uni e.g student ambassador?

Yeah hopefully they'll get back to you. Your dad is right but I think his talking in a sense of being in a 6th form and not Uni. All those jobs are taken you know so don't think anything like that is left.
Reply 14
ahhh well in this life you just have to keep persevering lol dont worry someting will come up :smile:
Reply 15
You will find work some day dont give up :smile:
The jobs I've found when I've been in 1st/2nd/3rd year at uni I found by going round and handing in CVs to places that had notices in the window. I'm trying to look now online as I've just finished uni and I'm looking for 'more important' jobs but I'm not getting anywhere... Are you looking for over Xmas as well? It'll be hard to get one now if you won't be there for Xmas.

What kind of jobs are you looking for?
Original post by Sprockette
The jobs I've found when I've been in 1st/2nd/3rd year at uni I found by going round and handing in CVs to places that had notices in the window. I'm trying to look now online as I've just finished uni and I'm looking for 'more important' jobs but I'm not getting anywhere... Are you looking for over Xmas as well? It'll be hard to get one now if you won't be there for Xmas.

What kind of jobs are you looking for?

Trust me I think you got it easy compared to me. I been searching for job since the the end of year 11. Every holiday I get e.g. half term, Christmas, Easter etc. I go out job hunting and I don't get anything since now. My mate went job hunting only twice and he landed himself a job. Right now I'm just searching for a job that can help me out through Uni. Like Sales Assistant, temp etc. Just need that extra cash and So far I haven't got anything. Is there anything you can help me with? Like any advice or something that can get me through this?

Your CV is a problem if you aren't getting any interviews. Put it up on the CV Help forum and we'll take a look at it in there.
Original post by threeportdrift
Your CV is a problem if you aren't getting any interviews. Put it up on the CV Help forum and we'll take a look at it in there.

That would be really great thank you. Can you send me a link to find this because I can't seem to find it. Thank you once again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending