Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Interest in corporate law. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

As the title reads, I have an interest in corporate law (economics in general interest me). Now, some people from Deloitte, a business firm of sorts, came to talk at our school about scholarships. They said that I can study law and still apply for their scheme. They provide experience in a business-environment to the scholars, and the bursarys are very generous.

My question is, is this experience worth taking a forced gap year for? Does anybody know if Deloitte have any sort of legal section - I doubt they do, but that'd be really sweet. But, is this whole shindig worth it for a would-be corporate lawyer?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Deloitte, being a rather large company, will have a legal department. If you are sure that it is what you want to do then the experience and job at the end of Uni will without question make it worthwhile (obviously they would be expecting some kind of commitment from you e.g. if you leave the company within X years you have to pay back the bursaries etc which is why I say if its definitely what you want to do it's worth it). However something like that would be EXTREMELY competitive, so you'd be best off working towards a different plan, and treating Deloitte as a bonus if you get it.

As for corporate law (and law in general) I don't know how old you are and how much research you've done into what the role actually involves, so I might just be reiterating what you already know, but a role in law isn't all court cases and calling suprise witnesses. The vast majority of your time (depending on the type of law) is spent reading e.g. 100's page documents, each word in EXCRUCIATING detail, writing contracts etc in the same detail, long hours, don't get involved in alot of things until they have gone absolutely tits up etc

Corporate law, this is just my personal opinion, but I cannot see why you would want to do corporate law, except the money. Of all the strands of law, I find Corporate to be the most tedious, mind numbing piece of bed time reading.

If it's really what you want to do, and you've looked into it properly, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Things like that are always good for the CV and give you a great talking point at interview, but there is no necessity and you won't be doing anything directly legal. It doesn't have any particular value for Corporate law above any other similar kind of experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.