Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best microphone to record piano/voice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya All,

For a couple of years now I've really enjoyed singing- but now I want to record my songs to upload online. I have no idea about which microphones are the best for recording, please help!

I don't want to spend too much, but am open to all suggestions.. I don't really know how much I'm willing to spend until I see what's available..

Something which would record straight onto a PC would be great :-)

Thanks for your help, + rep for helpful answers :-)

xxx

EDIT: Please QUOTE when you reply so that I know you have :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Hiya All,

For a couple of years now I've really enjoyed singing- but now I want to record my songs to upload online. I have no idea about which microphones are the best for recording, please help!
    It really depends on what budget you've got. At the cheapest you could probably buy a USB microphone, place it somewhere suitable and record.

If you want something that sounds pretty decent you're likely to have to spend a bit more.

A good Microphone for vocals isn't necessarily a good microphone for a Piano.

In terms of vocals the SM58 is generally a good all rounder but it's likely to cost around £100. You also won't be able to plug it directly into a PC.

Assuming it's a real piano rather than an electric piano I've heard they can be difficult to mic up well due to their size. If you've got an electric piano it's hopefully got an line out which you can use for recording (or you could use the headphone socket)

You may also want to consider how you want to record the various parts.

Play/sing each part separately and then combine. This gives you the power of re-doing a part later if there's an issue and also being able to adjust the volumes etc of each part. But you will need software that can handle multiple tracks.

Play/sing the parts together but record separately. This gives the same advantages as above that you can have more control of the recorded parts. You'll need software that can handle the various parts and hardware to allow you to plug enough microphones etc. into the computer.

Play/sing each part at the same time but only record a stereo mix. This requires the least computer software/hardware but you will probably require a mixer.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response! The piano is electric so I'll be able to record that straight in! I probably will record the layers separately, it seems to make more sense

Thanks for the advice xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.