The Student Room Group

Penalty Charge Notice

Got a parking ticket today but I'm pretty sure I was in the right to park. The parking sign (attached) stated permit holders only but gave times on the sign: Mon-Sat 10am-11am 2pm-3pm. I parked there between 2-3pm. I asked a 'civil enforcement officer' earlier in the year if these were the times I was/wasn't allowed to park and he said I was allowed in those times, even if I didn't have a permit. Also, it would seem a bit odd if permit holders only could park during those times but anyone else could park outside those times. The parking bay is outside loads of housing so I would of thought the permit holders get the right the majority of the time! Been parking there for months now whenever I go into town on weekends and never had a ticket!

I'm going to appeal but I cannot find any official documentation explaining a sign like that. Currently trawling my way through traffic signs manual chp3 at http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tss/tsmanual/tsmchapter3.pdf

Has anyone else had any similar kind of problems? Any advice?
Reply 1
The sign says, quite clearly, that you can't part there without a permit at that time. Advice: pay your fine.
Reply 2
Original post by L i b
The sign says, quite clearly, that you can't part there without a permit at that time. Advice: pay your fine.
This.

It's line the bus lane signs with hours of operation. Your driving instructor would have told you how to interpret the sign. The time ranges indicate restrictions, not permissions.

You haven't a leg to stand on with an appeal. Verbal advice from anyone is neither here nor there as it could be misunderstood or badly remembered. Only trust what is written in black and white.
Original post by L i b

This
Reply 4
Original post by person29
Got a parking ticket today but I'm pretty sure I was in the right to park. The parking sign (attached) stated permit holders only but gave times on the sign: Mon-Sat 10am-11am 2pm-3pm. I parked there between 2-3pm. I asked a 'civil enforcement officer' earlier in the year if these were the times I was/wasn't allowed to park and he said I was allowed in those times, even if I didn't have a permit. Also, it would seem a bit odd if permit holders only could park during those times but anyone else could park outside those times. The parking bay is outside loads of housing so I would of thought the permit holders get the right the majority of the time! Been parking there for months now whenever I go into town on weekends and never had a ticket!

I'm going to appeal but I cannot find any official documentation explaining a sign like that. Currently trawling my way through traffic signs manual chp3 at http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tss/tsmanual/tsmchapter3.pdf

Paragraph 7.8 in the document you linked to seems to answer your question exactly:

7.8 The sign to diagram 661.1 indicates a free parking place where certain restrictions apply. The sign may include the times of operation, a particular class of vehicle (car, solo motor cycle or bus), and a limited waiting period, together with the time period during which a vehicle may not return. Examples are shown in figure 7-1. Outside the times of operation there are no restrictions on parking unless there are signs and markings to indicate otherwise. Where no class of vehicle is shown, the parking place may be used by any vehicle. The limited waiting period is omitted where there is unlimited parking for a particular class of vehicle and times of operation are shown. Where the parking place operates at all times and there is no limit on waiting, a sign to diagram 801( with or without a supplementary plate) or 969 should be used as appropriate (see para 7.5).

Edit:

And also paragraph 7.14:
7.14 Signs to diagrams 660 and 660.3 may be varied to include times of operation; examples are shown in figure 7-2. Outside those times any vehicle may park in the bay unless there are signs and markings to indicate otherwise.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5

Clearly shows that its for permit holders only during those times!
Reply 6
Let us know how long it takes for someone to start laughing at you when you try to appeal...

Appeal it, what do you have to lose?
Original post by Stringer987
Appeal it, what do you have to lose?

Cost of a stamp and waste of the councils money?

----------

The sign states those are the times you are NOT allowed to park in that zone.
Original post by Clubber Lang
Cost of a stamp and waste of the councils money?

----------

The sign states those are the times you are NOT allowed to park in that zone.

Not if you go to the council and appeal it there like i did, i got off it by saying i was new to the area!
Reply 10
Yeah it does seem pretty stupid in hindsight, but the ‘civil enforcement officer’ did say I could! They rejected the appeal lol I like to think of it as my way of helping the council in financially hard times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending