Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going on the pill on Monday - please tell me your experiences Watch

Hi,

Im going on the pill on Monday (although i have many doubts) due to heavy & painful periods can you please tell me your experiences & which pill was best for you. Also were you afraid (i know this sounds weird) before going on it?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I took femodette first, took it for a month and bled everyday The doc switched me to norimin, bled for another few weeks then it stopped and everything was fine. I get headaches sometimes in the first week I take it after the break. I wasn't afraid, it's just a contraceptive pill

ReputationRep:
    I THINK I was taking Marvelon. I found it was good, I went on the pill for painfull periods and was suggested the type I was on becasue it could also help clear my skin (which it did help with). No I wasn't scared, nothing to be scared of.

Once I needed it for contraception though, I found I wanted something I didn't need to worry about every day so I now get the injection. The injection has actually stopped my periods all together so no more period pain coz even on the pill I still got pain, it just wasn't as bad as before.

x

ReputationRep:
    What type are you taking?

I take Yasmin and it's been great, no side effects.
    I didn't go on it in order to deal with periods but the first 6 months I was on it they were much lighter and less painful. Gradually they have returned to how they were before, which isn't a problem for me personally.

I was on Microgynon for 6years. Originally it was for contraceptive purposes. But after splitting from ex bf and no longer seeing a friend with benefits, I stayed on it for clear skin and to regulate periods. However after a scare, well still being investigated for DVT, I immediately came off it. My body is taking a battering settling back into a normal routine, but I realise it'll take a while.

I've been taking Ovranette for 6 months, which I think is the same as Microgynon (not certain). I've had no problems with it, periods are lighter and perfectly regular (to the hour!) and my boobs have grown, which is no bad thing :p:
    I was afraid of all the side effects you hear about, but its been fine.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on three different pills, and they have all helped immensely with my bad times of the month. Before the pill I couldn't get out of bed because the pain was so bad. Would definately recommend it to control periods plus the other benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with Anon 3., been on Ovranette for a year or two and it's like a miracle cure for me! Yes I get the occasional stomach ache every few months but nothing as bad as before I started taking it. I've put on a small amount of weight but I mainly think that's due to quitting dancing and not the pill, agree with the boob growage too!

ReputationRep:
    Initially I was put on Microgynon (as most people are to begin with). I gained weight and suffered from spotting.

Switched to Yasmin, which is fine. No side effects, no weight gain.

ReputationRep:
    I got put on Femodette, tried it for 2 months but found my personality was really changing and I was feeling very depressed and crying at the silliest things. I was switched to Logynon which has lower hormone levels apparently and i love it i love knowing when my periods will be and they are a hell of a lot lighter and significantly less painful. the only problem is remembering to take it but if you are taking it for heavy periods and not contraception purposes it should be fine! i have no other side effects, apart from the fact that i've put on weight which i'm happy about as I was a bit underweight. also my boobs have gone up a cup size

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Microgynon, been on it for a year for contraceptive purposes. I had the occasional mood swing to start off with but now I'm fine. I love it tbh, I know pretty much down to the hour when my period is, and it's given me less painful times of the month too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)
    I THINK I was taking Marvelon. I found it was good, I went on the pill for painfull periods and was suggested the type I was on becasue it could also help clear my skin (which it did help with). No I wasn't scared, nothing to be scared of.

Once I needed it for contraception though, I found I wanted something I didn't need to worry about every day so I now get the injection. The injection has actually stopped my periods all together so no more period pain coz even on the pill I still got pain, it just wasn't as bad as before.

x
    surely that isnt't a good thing? it means you've stopped to have endometrial growth.
    correct me if im wrong, but you'd not be able to conceive this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swordedstone)
    surely that isn't a good thing? it means you've stopped to have endometrial growth.
    correct me if im wrong, but you'd not be able to conceive this way.
    Yeah its a good thing when I used to suffer from painfull periods.

Well it reduces the chance of me becoming pregnant but thats kinda the point... its a contraceptive, thats what they are for.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its a good thing when I used to suffer from painfull periods.

Well it reduces the chance of me becoming pregnant but thats kinda the point... its a contraceptive, thats what they are for.
    haah, no i mean when you WANT to get pregnant later on ( i assume you do. if not, well then, good for you ) but if you do at some point, its going to be hard.
    hormones are a *****.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been on a couple of different pills and not had problems with any except for Marvelon which gave me headaches. My GP originally prescribed Dianette for me when i was 15 due to my acne and heavy/painful periods.

Am now on the injection but Ive been bleeding for 4-5 weeks now constantly and its pissing me off. Hope it calms down otherwise I'll be going back on the pill.

ReputationRep:
    haah, no i mean when you WANT to get pregnant later on ( i assume you do. if not, well then, good for you ) but if you do at some point, its going to be hard.
    hormones are a *****.
    Oh haha!

Well once I stop getting the injection my periods will come back and I can try for a baby, it can take a few months to get back to normal though, it takes a while for the hormones to leave your system.

As for actually having kids, I'm not actually sure its for me, other people can see me having kids but I just can't see it, although I am only 19 so I could change my mind.

x

ReputationRep:
    I was on ovranette between the ages of 15 and 20, it used to make me feel really sick and i would often either forget or not bother to take it. So i went on the implant which i love.

ReputationRep:
    Oh haha!

Well once I stop getting the injection my periods will come back and I can try for a baby, it can take a few months to get back to normal though, it takes a while for the hormones to leave your system.

As for actually having kids, I'm not actually sure its for me, other people can see me having kids but I just can't see it, although I am only 19 so I could change my mind.

x
    Its like im having a conversation with myself haha. Nice job. whats this injection called. and do the NHS cover it? x

ReputationRep:
    Its like im having a conversation with myself haha. Nice job. whats this injection called. and do the NHS cover it? x
    :eek: someone who understands! lol

Depo-Provera is the most commonly used injection in the UK and is effective for up to 12 weeks, after which another injection is given. Yes the NHS covers it and you can get it done at family planning clinics etc.

xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.