Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ANYBODY STUDY OR APPLIED TO STUDY SCANDINAVIAN STUDIES ???

I've emailed

Aberdeen (English and Scandinavian Studies)
    Edinburgh (Scandinavian Studies)
    UCL (Scandinavian Studies)

to ask if they would consider me due to my grades and being a mature student etc etc.

Really want to get into Edinburgh the course looks amazing.

I'd specialize in Swedish.

ReputationRep:
    There's a thread on this in the UCL section.

ReputationRep:
    that's cool - our old financial controller did Swedish at UCL.

just saying in case you're interested in career prospects and whatever. he spent 7 years in sweden and is now a 30 years fellowship chartered accountant over here earning bucks.

ReputationRep:
    Here you go.

Thread's been around since 2008, so skip forward if you want.

ReputationRep:
    argh cheers silly moomin

ReputationRep:
    UCL is the best of these universities with far the best opportunities to go abroad and general facilities (well-stocked library, plenty of events, etc.). I didn't study the subject itself but have done a language course within the department; and thus know a few of the Swedish and Finnish lecturers - great people who really understand what they are talking about. One of the Finnish lecturers is a rock star, teaching sth on economics. lol To sum up, it's a great department (but not too easy to get in to)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passenger17a)
    UCL is the best of these universities with far the best opportunities to go abroad and general facilities (well-stocked library, plenty of events, etc.).
    Well I'm at Edinburgh, so it's the best

That's what I should say right - did I get the jist of your post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)

I fancy Edinburgh more than ucl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passenger17a)
    UCL is the best of these universities with far the best opportunities to go abroad and general facilities (well-stocked library, plenty of events, etc.). I didn't study the subject itself but have done a language course within the department; and thus know a few of the Swedish and Finnish lecturers - great people who really understand what they are talking about. One of the Finnish lecturers is a rock star, teaching sth on economics. lol To sum up, it's a great department (but not too easy to get in to)!
    I doubt I'd get into UCL even as a mature student, or Edinburgh for that matter, Aberdeen yes but it's joint which kindof sucks

ReputationRep:
    [SIZE="1"]
    That's what I should say right - did I get the jist of your post?[/SIZE]

But UCL has a Modern Icelandic degree and Faroese modules. :proud::p:

(Original post by moomin-matt)
    I fancy Edinburgh more than ucl
    Nyah, you can largely ignore the city, to be honest, I did.

ReputationRep:
    Il wait and see what Edinburgh n ucl say, silly situation I got myself in I can only swap one English choice left before the jan 15th deadline. If ucl and Edinburgh say they'd even look at my application which one should I go with... Baring in mind I don't have required grades of a school leaver

ReputationRep:

lol
    I'm sure Edinburgh is swell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin-matt)
    Il wait and see what Edinburgh n ucl say, silly situation I got myself in I can only swap one English choice left before the jan 15th deadline. If ucl and Edinburgh say they'd even look at my application which one should I go with... Baring in mind I don't have required grades of a school leaver
    If you get into Edinburgh you can take Swedish even if you applied for English - you have to take three courses in first year. Then you can drop the others later and continue with Swedish if you want.

The Scandinavian dept there is good. I wanted to do one of their courses as my outside subject with French and German (but ended up with philosophy instead).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.