Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who's been there, and how did it work out?

Basically, theres this guy at work whos pretty amazing really, and I feel like we get on fairly well. Recently I started to develop feelings for him, and now I'm not sure if he is starting to feel the same. We had our xmas party last night, and we kept like making eye contact kind of awkwardly :P And little things like in the office, he's a bit of a joker anyway but it seems more like now hes aiming it at me. This is probably all in my head though cs I like him, but I really don't know what to do about it. Any advice much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother, if it all goes tits up then its just awkward and one of you will have to quit and go somewhere else. Not worth the hassle if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Don't even get me started on fancying someone at work.
    Long story short.
    - Crushed on this guy for over a month
    - Christmas party the other day, he was off his face & just acted like a total disappointment. I couldnt even talk to him seriously about anything
    - Cherry on top: Seeing him being dragged to a corner by the slut of the store. You know what happens next...

Honestly I felt awkward the next day. I couldnt even hide it. He knew I was being off with him & he knew I found out what happened. Work relationships are messy. Thats why I intend on avoiding getting involved anymore than I already have with guy in question.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm - they can work but can also be a bit awkward if things go tits up. Just be careful, maybe try adding him on facebook an see if he sends you a message/suggests meeting up or whatever. You'll soon know if he likes you enough to do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    all this "you'll have to leave if it goes wrong" is crap, if you can't handle the odd awkward situation you shouldn't be working, or going outside. just keep it professional when you are at work. i have been in 2 similar situations, from both sides, and it works out just fine if you can keep your private life out of your work.

talk to him, get friendly, see where it goes, just adapt to it on the fly. if you like him enough then make it happen.

ReputationRep:
    I fancy this guy at work, I only work saturdays, but I work downstairs and he works upstairs, recently we had to do this survey thing and we got talking whilst waiting to do it, he's really sweet and seemed genuinelly interested in me and kept giving me little smiles. Thing is, I dont really know how to go about getting his number/talking to him more?
    Sometimes I see him on the staircase and we're like oooh hi how are you etc, but i'd really like to get to know him more! Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    I fancy this guy at work, I only work saturdays, but I work downstairs and he works upstairs, recently we had to do this survey thing and we got talking whilst waiting to do it, he's really sweet and seemed genuinelly interested in me and kept giving me little smiles. Thing is, I dont really know how to go about getting his number/talking to him more?
    Sometimes I see him on the staircase and we're like oooh hi how are you etc, but i'd really like to get to know him more! Any suggestions?
    go upstairs on your break/end of shift, or at another time and ask for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zero 1)
    go upstairs on your break/end of shift, or at another time and ask for it
    i have no confidence.. haha.. what if he says no?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    i have no confidence.. haha.. what if he says no?:confused:
    none of that, stay positive now. you have no confidence because you think you don't. it's all in the mind, believe you are confident and make it happen. if you risk nothing you win nothing, so, is it worth the risk? if so, then just go up there and ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zero 1)
    none of that, stay positive now. you have no confidence because you think you don't. it's all in the mind, believe you are confident and make it happen. if you risk nothing you win nothing, so, is it worth the risk? if so, then just go up there and ask.
    I feel awkward, though, as I'm a girl and it's usually boys who ask for numbers :P.. any ideas on how to instigate the conversation/subtly ask for his number without me looking weird?

ReputationRep:
    I feel awkward, though, as I'm a girl and it's usually boys who ask for numbers :P.. any ideas on how to instigate the conversation/subtly ask for his number without me looking weird?
    i don't like social norms, do things your own way. just go with a quick how's it going kind of thing, then ask if you can have his number, or if he wants to hang out sometime. keep it simple, don't over think it, make it up on the fly. no excuses, go do it next weekend.

ReputationRep:
    ask him out! what the worse can happen?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, guys, guys. Not all I-fancy-the-guy-at-work situations end in disaster. I was in this situation last year and here I am, in a relationship with the guy from work, both still working together at the same place, and we celebrated our first anniversary over two months ago.

ReputationRep:
    Relationships at work are awkward because if things go downhill you have to face each other every single day.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.