Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I want to lose weight in general, but I'd really like to target my legs- calves and thighs, so I can wear nice dresses. Everyone says walking is the best way, as opposed to cycling which would actually make my calves bigger. What are the best leg exercises/workouts to really lose fat from my legs? I have a small stepper at home, the basic kind where you go up and down alternately with each leg, would that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saks10111)
    Hi I want to lose weight in general, but I'd really like to target my legs- calves and thighs, so I can wear nice dresses. Everyone says walking is the best way, as opposed to cycling which would actually make my calves bigger. What are the best leg exercises/workouts to really lose fat from my legs? I have a small stepper at home, the basic kind where you go up and down alternately with each leg, would that help?
    No exercise will give skinny legs and no exercise will spot reduce fat. You're just gonna have to lose weight, unluckily if you retain alot of your fat on your legs then you're just gonna have to keep on losing weight till your legs are skinnier and your upper body is skinnier. Its up to you where you go from there though, personally i find stick thin legs on females disgusting as do most men however lean shapely legs are nice. For these you would want to incorporate some resistance training to build body mass. Squats and leg presses would be beneficial.

Step machines are meant to be decent cardio but i guess any cardio is cardio so its really at the individual discretion

ReputationRep:
    Squats

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.