Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

whos up for getting rid of Nick Clegg as the leader of the Lib Dems Watch

ReputationRep:
    All we need is at the maximum 70,000 students and other citizens with £6 each and we can oust him as leader - whos up for it?
    (Probably need a lot less people than 70,000)

ReputationRep:
    why £6 each?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    why £6 each?
    If a large group of students join the liberal party we can force a vote of no confidence. I'm not sure how their elections work but if we cant vote for a leader who is against tution fees we can just call a no confidence vote till we find one ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Don't worry, he won't be leader for the next round of elections.

Also, do you honestly intend to vote Libs even if they get another leader? There's a very, very large proportion of that party who can no longer be trusted - not just Clegg.
    I have no personal interest in the Lib Dems ever coming back to power - the point is to get his smug face off the tv - and although unlikely lead to the collapse of the coalition and hopefully get rid of the rise in tuition fees for those in England (it doesnt affect me but politicians lying blatantly really annoys me)

ReputationRep:
    It's not just Clegg, the entire party is infested with opportunistic liars. Though that's the nature of politics really.

There was an item on the BBC news earlier tthis evening that said there was a move by members of the Lib Dems to mount a challenge to his leadership. I wish I had taken more notice of what was being said as I just listened to the headline message and got on with something else.

Edit:This post has already pissed off at least one TSRer. What I'm going to quote now will piss them off even more, because it's the truth that they find difficult facing...apparently.

Sue Gymer said: “I’ve already heard that one of our activists locally has resigned and I’m deeply worried that we are going to have more people wanting to go.

“But I would ask them to stay put because I would like to, with others, mount a leadership challenge and then they can make their decision after that.”

Ms Gymer, chair of the south Cambridgeshire constituency party, said Mr Clegg’s decision to go back on his promise to fight tuition fee rises was morally wrong. She added: “We held our breaths after the coalition to see what would happen. I know we have had 65% of our manifesto promises put into legislation. I know they have worked very hard mitigating the student tuition fee rise but it’s still not right, it doesn’t feel right morally.

“We stood for fairness and honesty. The other parties regularly do U-turns but the Lib Dems promised not to.”

ReputationRep:
      Why can't people understand that the Liberal Democrats are not in power? Why are people so selfish that they'd rather the Liberal Democrats abide by one, ill-thought out promise and ruin the government than the Liberal Democrats have influence (far more than they'd get on the other side of the House) in what could be a relatively stable government and ensure that they have direct scrutiny over certain Conservative policies?

I'm not a Liberal Democrat but I think it's single-minded of people to immediately go anti-Clegg because he's decided to work for the greater good.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by chiggy321)
      Why can't people understand that the Liberal Democrats are not in power? Why are people so selfish that they'd rather the Liberal Democrats abide by one, ill-thought out promise and ruin the government than the Liberal Democrats have influence (far more than they'd get on the other side of the House) in what could be a relatively stable government and ensure that they have direct scrutiny over certain Conservative policies?

I'm not a Liberal Democrat but I think it's single-minded of people to immediately go anti-Clegg because he's decided to work for the greater good.
      ECONOMICS OF THE DECISION

Your posting makes the assumption that the coalition, and this policy, are for the greater good. I am afraid I differ in opinion re this policy.

I think the damage to the economy of taking a marginal rate from graduates of 41% (Tax 20, NI 12, Student Loan 9) on any earnings above £21,000 is misguided. The housing market is still worse than fragile, in four years time it may be recovering. Restricting graduates ability to afford to own housing will I expect tip the market back from any stability it may by then have found. I would fully expect the banks to restrict the multiple of earnings they might have lent to take into account the 9% "additional tax " graduates will bear. Given these graduates will need to live somewhere, the providers of rental properties will to a degree step into the void and I expect the average age of a first time buyer to continue to rise. (already mid thirties) Recent research by Savills appears to be suggesting a fundamental change in the housing market as the UK once again returns to a flat market dominated by the rental sector with houses owner occupied. (I expect rental providers will also move into this sector)

The foregoing wholly dismantles all efforts by the Conservatives from 1979-1997 to create a nation of owner occupiers and the social stability that was meant to engender.

VOTER TRUST

I think it is perfectly valid for voters for either the Liberals, or for that matter the Conservatives, to feel betrayed.

It is implicit within the the Law of Contract that what is descibed as being sold by one party to a contract is delivered. Political parties set out their wares via their manifesto: for them not to deliver what they offered, and was accepted by the electorate as being their offer, is a breach.

I think anyone with any degree of pragmatism would expect some variation when a Coalition was formed, however the Liberal position on fees was not vague, capable of different interpretation. They ought not to have traded it with the Conservatives.

To my mind this is now dangerous for the Liberals, a large number of their voters were young. The Liberals set themselves as different from the other two parties; they were meant to be true to their word. Patently they have not been true. They are now cast as no different from the others, their unique selling point has gone.

From a moral point of view I would now expect all sitting MP's who voted for the fee increase, and who previously received state assistance with their own education, to now write a cheque to the Treasury to make good the assistance they received. (adjusted for inflation and true cost) Of course they will not.I am beyond believing that MP's have standards in their lives.

ASIDE

I noticed at the foot of your posting some form of message along the lines "Real change for Real people" The second Real is nonsense unless you believe you/others have had policies for people who were not Real.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      A lot of his party seems behind him tbh. And a vote of no confidence will do **** all without an alternate candidate. Hence why Churchill used to force them on parliament a lot.

ReputationRep:
      didnt realise the coalition had such a big majority if im honest with u. I thought the majority was only 10 or something. Also most lib dems are behind clegg and the rebels who arent will most likely be sacked by clegg and cameron. I can honestly see Cable and Clegg joining the tories.

(Original post by The_Great_One)
        didnt realise the coalition had such a big majority if im honest with u. I thought the majority was only 10 or something. Also most lib dems are behind clegg

Ermm..Out of a potential 56 votes of support, 27 supported...just under half.

Some 21 Lib Dems rebelled, while 27 - including the party's ministers - backed the change, and eight abstained. Six Tory MPs voted against the motion and two abstained. Source: bbc news/politics
        (Original post by The_Great_One)
        and the rebels who arent will most likely be sacked by clegg and cameron. I can honestly see Cable and Clegg joining the tories.
        Clegg told those members who had ministerial posts to resign if they didn't vote for the proposal. Intimidatory and bullying tactics are not a pleasant character in a leader.

To avoid full blame, Cameron asked a Lib Dem to construct the new policy rather than asking his own Minister for Universities (Dave Willetts) to take responsibility under the guise of it being more a business matter than a matter affecting Universities! Result...Lib Dems are taking more than their fair share of the blame. Tories are actually more culpable, imo, because they have been opportunistic in hiding behind the Lib Dems, deflecting the heat off themselves and letting the Lib Dems take the flak for what is essentially, Tory policy which the other coalition party has had to compromise on.

Neither of the parties are without guilt and anger should rightly be directed at both of them.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by chiggy321)

Amen to this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.