The Student Room Group

First Year Report Worries and Panic

Hi everyone,

I've been doing a science PhD for about 8 months now, but today was the first time it all really hit me. We have to submit a 1st year progress report before christmas (with a mini-viva in january). Now I have been collating all my data and writing up everything, I realise how badly I've been doing everything (not writing down key details, not doing enough replicates, making really simple mistakes). I think my interpretation of the results is horrendous and am seriously thinking about failure. My supervisor gave me back a first draft with red pen pretty much through everything, though they have given a lot of advice to sort out my report and make it submittable. I'm certain I've just had some sort of panic attack and really seriously am on the verge of crying. I just wasn't expecting this much worry. It sounds silly as its nothing compared to what the final dissertation will be, but is this common for a first year progress report? Did anyone else get this stressed or worried at the end of the first year?

Is anyone else feeling the same?

Thanks for any responses! Back to writing now.........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending