Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

My camera broke and I'm in need of an emergency camera by Monday
    Ive not had much time to look around :/ and would appreciate your opinions on which of these camera's to buy:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/nikon-c...02666-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/fujifil...75156-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/fujifil...02665-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/sony-cy...78227-pdt.html

I'm leaning more towards the last one...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Won't they be horrendously overpriced at Currys?

ReputationRep:
    You haven't actually said what you want out of a camera. If you just want to "take a picture" then buy the cheapest one because it can do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Won't they be horrendously overpriced at Currys?
    Where else would you suggest...?
    I need one pretty soon, so i cant buy onlkine anymore :/ ive had a look in Pc World and Comet too, but those are the ones i guess ill be choosing from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by When will I know?)
    Where else would you suggest...?
    I need one pretty soon, so i cant buy onlkine anymore :/ ive had a look in Pc World and Comet too, but those are the ones i guess ill be choosing from.
    Online isn't an option? I would have said Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    You haven't actually said what you want out of a camera. If you just want to "take a picture" then buy the cheapest one because it can do that.
    Just pick one!

Mostly pictures and also random videos.

ReputationRep:
    Just pick one!

Mostly pictures and also random videos.
    You! Buy the cheapest one and spend the money you save on something else. If you know how to take a good photo you can take it on any camera. Don't be torn by all the marketing gimmicks of these lower end cameras, they are basically all the same.

ReputationRep:
    You! Buy the cheapest one and spend the money you save on something else. If you know how to take a good photo you can take it on any camera. Don't be torn by all the marketing gimmicks of these lower end cameras, they are basically all the same.
    Thanks

I'll so end up doing the opposite though..

A bit of a sucker for those marketing gimmicks :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

I'll so end up doing the opposite though..

A bit of a sucker for those marketing gimmicks :rolleyes:
    If you are rich you could buy a Nikon D3100 with a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. That's a proper camera

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like any of them will do the job, but you can't go wrong with a Nikon. The S3000 is a nice camera.

ReputationRep:
    If you are rich you could buy a Nikon D3100 with a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. That's a proper camera
    You don't need to be rich to buy a D3100 and 35mm F/1.8, that's pretty low end

Now a D3S and 85mm F/1.4G, that's a slightly different story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    You don't need to be rich to buy a D3100 and 35mm F/1.8, that's pretty low end

Now a D3S and 85mm F/1.4G, that's a slightly different story
    You're quite right! I have a D90 with a few lenses, which many people would still consider very expensive for "just a camera", ah what little they know.

ReputationRep:
    :/

I've heard a lot about Nikon D3100.....the things that make you wish you were rich:rolleyes:

Ive ended up getting this one, i think i love it :heart: with HD Movie too.. which i need to record dancing, so its okay for now

ReputationRep:
    :/

I've heard a lot about Nikon D3100.....the things that make you wish you were rich:rolleyes:

Ive ended up getting this one, i think i love it :heart: with HD Movie too.. which i need to record dancing, so its okay for now

That's cool i'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have a little Nikon compact which is quite good for what it is. However, I never use it because of my D90

ReputationRep:
    That's cool i'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have a little Nikon compact which is quite good for what it is. However, I never use it because of my D90
    Thanks Mr. Demon

ReputationRep:
    You're quite right! I have a D90 with a few lenses, which many people would still consider very expensive for "just a camera", ah what little they know.
    What lenses do you have?

I've still only got the 18-55 kit and a 50mm F/1.4 along with a SB900 Speedlight, but when payday comes I shall be getting myself a 17-55 f/2.8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    What lenses do you have?

I've still only got the 18-55 kit and a 50mm F/1.4 along with a SB900 Speedlight, but when payday comes I shall be getting myself a 17-55 f/2.8
    I have the 10-24mm, 35mm (f/1.8) and 105mm (f/2.8) macro. I want to get a 50mm f/1.4! Not sure about the 17-55mm, why do you want that? Wedding photographer?

ReputationRep:
    Probably the 3rd down, since bridge cameras tend to have better optical quality and higher zoom. It depends if size is an issue for you really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.