The Student Room Group

Warwick or UCL? Which do you think is better and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shubham_ag
Even I have offers (albeit conditional) from both and I'd definitely choose UCL over Warwick owing to mostly the London factor plus the fact that UCL is much more recognized internationally. Also, I noticed something strange in the Times Rankings. Warwick is not even listed there for some strange reason while UCL is 22nd overall and 14th in the social sciences.

Also, many people have told me that attending career fairs etc would be easier from UCL owing to its proximity to all the banks. Plus scoring internships is easier when you are in London itself. I guess it would be a bit of a pain in the ass to travel from Warwick to major cities for career fairs and interviews and ****.
Plus, you can work part time in London and offset the extra costs of living here. And honestly, living in one of the greatest cities of the world would be amazing from a social point of view.

What did Warwick ask for in their offer?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Mr. Roxas
I'm quite certain that UCL has more international recognition than Warwick has, but I'm not really sure about UCL being more preferred than Warwick in terms of employment opportunities. If you have to take the word of Tobias Wagnert, an Executive Director of UBS Investment Banking, he says:

"As a leading global investment bank, recruiting the best graduates is critical for our continued success. We are very excited about our strong relationship with the University of Warwick, which is one of our key target universities in Europe. In 2010 our Investment Banking Department recruited more graduates from the University of Warwick than from any other university in the UK." http://www.wbs.ac.uk/news/releases/2010/11/19/WBS/undergraduates/win

That comes from one investment bank and that doesn't really represent the overall picture. I'm pretty sure LSE's and possibly Oxbridge's employment prospects are better than warwick's.
Reply 22
Choose the course you would enjoy the most, look at the modules and ask current students.

At undergraduate level, it doesn't really matter.
If you're at a target institution it's not going to make much difference. The banks are not going to care if you're from UCL or Warwick, its not like they are hiring your tutors.

It's like saying does it help my England chances if I play for Arsenal or Chelsea.

You probably have more chance of being called up for England if you play for Arsenal than if you play for Fulham. But if its a choice of Arsenal or Chelsea then Capello's not going to look at which team is better as part of his decision making.
Personally, I'd choose UCL.

So I suggest you make your choice personal as well.
UCL
Reply 26
If you have the money for living costs UCL simply for the London factor
The better department is UCL, it's in London so the employment opportunities are immense.
Reply 28
I would have picked Warwick over UCL. The employment opportunities for economics graduates of both are excellent, so I'd pick based on other factors. As an undergraduate I just know I'd have preferred Warwick because of the atmosphere- for my 18 year old self I know I'd have found London uncomfortably large/expensive/busy etc. So my advice: just go to the university you think you'd enjoy the next 3 years at more!
Reply 29
Some of the things that people list as disadvantages of Warwick simply aren't true. Warwick holds City and Finance fairs, and there are numerous Inv Banks that hold employer presentations and networking events on campus. Regarding traveling down to London for interviews etc: it takes 50 mins by train to Euston, it won't kill you..

Look at the modules, what your budget allows you to do, etc. instead.
Original post by Focus08

Original post by Focus08
Some of the things that people list as disadvantages of Warwick simply aren't true. Warwick holds City and Finance fairs, and there are numerous Inv Banks that hold employer presentations and networking events on campus. Regarding traveling down to London for interviews etc: it takes 50 mins by train to Euston, it won't kill you..

Look at the modules, what your budget allows you to do, etc. instead.

The opportunities to network are just far greater, you can attend far more events if you actually live in London, such as insight days or guess lectures. Yes banks will hold events there but they'll also have more events in London. It's not day and night, but there is a clear difference.
Original post by sabbath_92
for an economics course..

Spoiler

ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl . Ucl .
Reply 32
Original post by Jenii
I would have picked Warwick over UCL. The employment opportunities for economics graduates of both are excellent, so I'd pick based on other factors. As an undergraduate I just know I'd have preferred Warwick because of the atmosphere- for my 18 year old self I know I'd have found London uncomfortably large/expensive/busy etc. So my advice: just go to the university you think you'd enjoy the next 3 years at more!

This, I hope the OP takes this advice.
UCL and Warwick are almost equal in terms of how a employer values that degree.
The location of UCL is a great advantage over Warwick however.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Can someone who's in Warwick please tell me if it's hard (or easier) compared to a London uni for getting part time jobs while studying as a full time student?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
I can only answer for Warwick really, but Warwick campus is flooded with graduate employers. Sports teams are sponsored by top banks/ law firms etc, there are numerous presentations and networking events and a thriving finance society. There is no doubt in my mind that Warwick is highly regarded by employers as the 'top' ones seem to make one hell of an effort to get their name out on campus. Another thing that people haven't mentioned is that Warwick Business School is one of the top in the country, and as an economics student you can take modules from it which could give Warwick a plus (of course I can't answer for UCL if it has something similar).
Reply 35
Original post by Rob_dob
I can only answer for Warwick really, but Warwick campus is flooded with graduate employers. Sports teams are sponsored by top banks/ law firms etc, there are numerous presentations and networking events and a thriving finance society. There is no doubt in my mind that Warwick is highly regarded by employers as the 'top' ones seem to make one hell of an effort to get their name out on campus. Another thing that people haven't mentioned is that Warwick Business School is one of the top in the country, and as an economics student you can take modules from it which could give Warwick a plus (of course I can't answer for UCL if it has something similar).

Remember the JP Morgan footprints by the Union :biggrin:
the one that has 'London' in the name if you like to travel globally
Reply 37
If you're only interested in choosing a uni for going into investment banking, go for UCL. We don't want you at Warwick.
Reply 38
Original post by Greg.
If you're only interested in choosing a uni for going into investment banking, go for UCL. We don't want you at Warwick.

How hard is it to get part time jobs whilst you're a full time student? Is the campus quite far from a city? I'm an international student so not really possible to attend an open day...thanks.
Reply 39
Original post by sabbath_92
How hard is it to get part time jobs whilst you're a full time student? Is the campus quite far from a city? I'm an international student so not really possible to attend an open day...thanks.

Yes, it is something that UCL is probably better for. On campus there are some opportunities for part time work, like in the pub or union, but these are very competitive to get. There are probably more on offer in Coventry and Leamington, these are about 20-30 mins bus journey to get to from Warwick I guess. I've not looked into it really, so can't really say how many opportunities there are on offer overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending