Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the long post, but here goess

I have this friend.. she's actually one of my best friends. I recently started noticing like really little things which made me realise how manipulative she really is
    She manages to get her way soo much, its ridiculous.. like she'll make you feel guilty about really weird stuff, like she told me she was going to arrange some thing with all our friends (its going to be at another one of our friends house, because apparently she cba to have it at hers.. even though shes arranging it!) but its my other best friend is having a 16th birthday thing at exactly the same time..

This thing is just for jokes.. like we have a free evening so lets do something..So i was like i HAVE to go to the birthday thing obv and she gets all pissy like well if you prefer her over us then fine.. She'll say this in front of everyone and make me feel sooooo guilty Even though she should understand that this is another friend who im just as close with even though she isnt in the same circle of friends as me

another example is that i told her this secret that she specifically wasnt supposed to tell this one girl because it would really really hurt her.. and it would hurt her if she knew that i had hidden it from her.. So i was asking her advice on how to break it to her.. next thing i know she had gone and told her!! :'( she was like it was an accident blah blah and apologized and me like some idiot just forgave her because i am SO bad at confrontation. it nearly ruined me and this other girls friendship.. there was no reason to tell her as well, even by accident because they arent even friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theres soo many more little things like this. I think she doesnt like me having other friends but her and the circle of friends we are in! But when she's not like this i consider her to be one of my best friends!!! i have only noticed stuff like this in the past 6 months. I have been like basically best friends since i started secondary school
    what should i do?

ReputationRep:
    Just keep hanging out with your other friends, she can't control you and tell you who you can or can't be friends with. You can make your own decisions and her jealousy of your other friends can't get in the way of that. Also, I think you should speak to her about telling your friend something that you told her in confidence because that was out of order. She doesn't seem like a friend at all if you can't trust her :/ You need to stand up to her or it'll just carry on.

ReputationRep:
    I had a problem like this. I just slapped her.

Every time shes a *****, just give her the back of your hand.

Then use your words.

Then another slap to keep her dosile.

If she gets upset tell her shes not being a real friend.

ReputationRep:
    CONFRONT her about telling your friend the secret she was meant to keep - that's out of line. I would say man up but you're a girl, but seriously, need to grow some balls else she'll keep walking all over you.

I have a friend who is like this, one of our friends is very manipulative, always gets her own way by guilting others, i put up with it for a while but sometimes enough if enough (our friend was still guilting us for having left her at a pub by herself - when she told us to leave; quite rudely - with some guys who she was flirting with after & year and a half) and you have to tell them that. Its either man up be a doormat i'm afraid..

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like she's got insecurities or personal problems if she feels the need to get all diva on you. Grow a back bone and tell her the stuff you've told us. She's a mate not your mother.

ReputationRep:
    watch out friends always end up betraying in secondary school -my exp anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kojo34)
    watch out friends always end up betraying in secondary school -my exp anyway
    Agreed

play her at her own game. Now you've recognised what she's trying to achieve with her behaviour there's no reason you should let it work.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.