Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm on a gap year now, and was going to go on to do Nursing, but I really want to do Medicine. I just realised this far too late to get the right A Levels. I've only just found out about Foundation Year courses and have the grades to get on them and have experience in a care role/voluntary work etc. Am I way to let to be considered? I know how competitive medicine is, but not all unis specify that they will not consider late applicants - just what the deadline is. PLEASE HELP
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arthur Dent)
    Okay, so I'm on a gap year now, and was going to go on to do Nursing, but I really want to do Medicine. I just realised this far too late to get the right A Levels. I've only just found out about Foundation Year courses and have the grades to get on them and have experience in a care role/voluntary work etc. Am I way to let to be considered? I know how competitive medicine is, but not all unis specify that they will not consider late applicants - just what the deadline is. PLEASE HELP
    This is a very vague description that I can't really help with. What are your credentials?

One thing is for certain, you will definitely 100% not get a place for 2011 entry (this year). No medical schools take late applications.

ReputationRep:
    the deadline was 15th october...sorry you can't apply now.

ReputationRep:
    nursing before medicine is quite a good idea, macca.

you get a bursaried course for three years, and then a four year GEP course that requires only one year of fees needed, plus you get a good waged job whilst at med school as a bank nurse with a hospital on your doorstep (unless you were dumb enough to pick a med school with no hospital next door of course, which i am sure you arent).

if you are still interested in nursing too, that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)

you get a bursaried course for three years, and then a four year GEP course that requires only one year of fees needed
    Assuming the NHS will be willing to cough up the £6k difference for the three years after the fee hike. OP may potentially end up having to pay £27k for GEP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Assuming the NHS will be willing to cough up the £6k difference for the three years after the fee hike. OP may potentially end up having to pay £27k for GEP.
    ahhh.

macca, i am changin my advice.

please not do nussing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    ahhh.

macca, i am changin my advice.

please not do nussing.
    But they're going to have to pay the higher price anyway as they've missed the deadline

Surely better to pay 4 years than 5, with the chance of having some of it covered?

PLUS high fees for the access course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    But they're going to have to pay the higher price anyway as they've missed the deadline

Surely better to pay 4 years than 5, with the chance of having some of it covered?

PLUS high fees for the access course

ahhhh....

do nussing, macca, do nussing!

ReputationRep:

you get a bursaried course for three years, and then a four year GEP course that requires only one year of fees needed, plus you get a good waged job whilst at med school as a bank nurse with a hospital on your doorstep (unless you were dumb enough to pick a med school with no hospital next door of course, which i am sure you arent).

if you are still interested in nursing too, that is.
    I believe that most banks won't take you on as a bank nurse until you have spent at least six months as a staff nurse on a ward (which you could only do after you have qualified, obviously). I know quite a few qualified nurses who are having to work as bank HCAs at the moment because there is a shortage of staff nurse vacancies (or rather, hospitals are unwilling to take on more staff at the moment due to budgetary constraints, despite the fact that more nurses are in fact needed) . Sorry to nitpick!

In principal I think that nursing before medicine is a good idea though, just a rather complicated proposition what with the fees hike etc.

ReputationRep:
    do access to medicine for a year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.