Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm in year 11 and to be quite honest, I'm struggling with my English coursework.
    For my first drafts I kept getting C's but then I had decided to redraft them all and I get
    B-'s. The thing is I don't want to be getting these grades, I want to be getting A's so that incase I do really bad in my exams I'll be at least able to get a C/B overall. I'd love to know how to achieve A's in English.Thank you for your help.

ReputationRep:
    How much have you written for them? And what are you studying/what are they on? General tips would be to fully answer the question - has your teacher not given you a plan to do your essay on? Use that substantially, and remember to use lots of quotes and back these up.

ReputationRep:
    PEE quotes good punctation good grammar answer the question well, like the person before said what are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    1.My media coursework is to analyse an Oxfam leaflet. I have to write why the leaflet is effective in persuading people to donate £2 a month.I've mentioned all the main points and I've made comments on the layout,language,presentation etc and had written 2049 words on it and yet got a B-

2.The I had done an essay on 'How is Sheila portrayed in Inspector calls?' and also I had gotten a B-

3.'In Shakespeare's ''Romeo and Juliet'', love and conflict are presented as being equally important.Discuss this with reference to Act 1, Scene 1 and act 2, Scene 2' I had gotten a C in this one and I think I know why, I had been translating more than actually analysing it.

I have to also do an essay on 'How does charles Dickens create tension and atmosphere in The Signal Man?' I didn't get a writing frame for this one and found it quite difficult yet I had got a C on it.

ReputationRep:
    Also when my English teacher marks my work she doesn't write what I should improve, she just writes ' You have clearly understood the text' and writes what grade it is. I've also noticed she leaves feedback to those who have gotten an A so that they would get an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictoriaV)
    Also when my English teacher marks my work she doesn't write what I should improve, she just writes ' You have clearly understood the text' and writes what grade it is. I've also noticed she leaves feedback to those who have gotten an A so that they would get an A*.
    Then ask her how to improve.
    Go to her after school.
    Send her emails...

It's not her job to be chasing you around, it's your job to be chasing her around because it's for your own benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazbaz)
    PEE quotes good punctation good grammar answer the question well, like the person before said what are you studying?
    PEE = D grade.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah,you're right I guess.I just feel like a hassle when I ask that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    PEE = D grade.
    It got me an A* in Enlglish so cant be all that bad

ReputationRep:
    It got me an A* in Enlglish so cant be all that bad
    Maybe in "Enlglish", but my A* in English was definitely not because of PEE.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe in "Enlglish", but my A* in English was definitely not because of PEE.
    Haha funny, it was a typo. Fair enough hjust saying it seemed to work for me

ReputationRep:
    You have to also know how to write with flair.

ReputationRep:
    Haha funny, it was a typo. Fair enough hjust saying it seemed to work for me
    Evidently...

ReputationRep:
    Evidently...
    Ughh i really cant type today, but yes i agree with the fact you have to be able to write with flair as well.

ReputationRep:
    If you want an Astar, then use words that no other teenagers would use (ubiquitous), try to do your own research and analyse in depth articles you have got. For your leaflet coursework make sure that you have commented on : rhetorical questions, rule of three, emotive and persuasive language, simile/ metaphor, use of first/ second person.
    Hope that helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.