Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ldr bf did not show up at airport Watch

At the moment I'm in a long distance relationship with a guy.
    A few months ago we had arranged for me to come over to visit him and he said he was really excited about it. It had been 3 months since we last saw each other at this moment.
    So I went over to visit him and he would pick me up from the aiport. When I arrived he wasn't there but I wasn't too worried at first cause I thought maybe het got held up by traffic or something. When after almost an hour the airport started to close down (it's a small town) I called him and he reacted very casually saying "o hi how's things? (which just angered me) oh you're at the airport now, okay.. am on my way now". When I asked him later why he had not been there he said he forgot (we had talked about it the night before and discussed the specific time I would arrive). When he picked me up he said he had been looking forward to it all day but when evening came he 'forgot'. His excuse was that he always forgets things "i forget things I have in the microwave and oven and I always forget meetings too, twas just a mental flaw"
    I just can not believe this. You don't forget to pick somebody up from the airport. I can't imagine ever forgetting to pick somebody up from the airport, doesnt matter who it is, it's just the sort of thing you don't forget.
    He asked me if i can please forgive him for this, but i find that really difficult to do since to me it feels like 'forgetting' is just not an excuse. If something had happened, if he was held up by something, ok, but this. Would almost seem like he did it on purpose (which he says is not the case) but either way (forgetting or doing it on purpose) is just unforgiveable I think.
    What do you guys/girls think? Am i being unreasonable. Is it acceptable to just not show up and give an excuse like this?

ReputationRep:
    I think you're being perfectly reasonable. You have discussed when you're arriving and for all he knew, you: could be waiting for ages; didn't know the area/directions; encounter problems.

Relating forgetting something like this to 'forgetting he's got something in the microwave' is just an insult to how much you mean to him.

I wouldn't be able to forgive easily, at all.

ReputationRep:
    WTF?!

I'd forgive, just because I am a forgiving person, but I'd probably not stay with someone who treated me like **** like that.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive him, but make it work to your advantage ofc. F.e next time you're shopping: "Well, you see that really nice coat over there ... I'd really quite like it ... and you left me at the airport. Just thought I'd drop that in there".

But in all seriousness "I just forgot" is ridiculous. You don't forget stuff like that, or at least you shouldn't do. But still, I'd forgive him.

ReputationRep:
    You bothered to go pick him up and he didn't even bother to think of you?

OP, I think we all know where this relationship is heading..

ReputationRep:
    Teach him a lesson - in the bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    Usually I'd make a witty response.

But man, what a PRICK.

ReputationRep:
    I would be pissed too. Not to make this worse but it's like by forgetting to pick you up, he forgot you. Brings to mind what things he's been doing when he's 'forgotten' he has a girlfriend

ReputationRep:
    It does sound really strange (especially if he's not a bad boyfriend otherwise, we don't know). Either he was up to something else he doesn't want to admit or he is not enthusiastic about your relationship (which can happen with LDRs). You should talk to him about it and really explain that it's more to it other than not showing up, it means it seems that he really doesn't care. And you discussed the time of day the night before? Nobody forgets that much.

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

Actually, I found this story to be amusing.

He actually compared leaving something in the oven to leaving someone at the airport.

ReputationRep:
    OP got OWNED!

He was gettin busy with some gal!

ReputationRep:
    why has no one pointed out or lold at him comparing how he forgets food in the microwave with forgetting his gf at the airport?!
    Now that is damn stupid/pathetic!

I saw an episode on Airline exactly like this. Air hostess goes to meet fancy man in Spain (LDR they were in too). She arrived and he was nowhere to be seen. 4/5hrs later, numerous calls (I think at some point he even turned his phone off) he decided to pick her up. His excuse was "I forgot". At the end of the episode narrater said they'd parted company shortly after.

OP, I'd kick this one to the curb and move on. Forgetting food in micro is one thing, but forgetting someone at the airport is taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At the moment I'm in a long distance relationship with a guy.
    A few months ago we had arranged for me to come over to visit him and he said he was really excited about it. It had been 3 months since we last saw each other at this moment.
    So I went over to visit him and he would pick me up from the aiport. When I arrived he wasn't there but I wasn't too worried at first cause I thought maybe het got held up by traffic or something. When after almost an hour the airport started to close down (it's a small town) I called him and he reacted very casually saying "o hi how's things? (which just angered me) oh you're at the airport now, okay.. am on my way now". When I asked him later why he had not been there he said he forgot (we had talked about it the night before and discussed the specific time I would arrive). When he picked me up he said he had been looking forward to it all day but when evening came he 'forgot'. His excuse was that he always forgets things "i forget things I have in the microwave and oven and I always forget meetings too, twas just a mental flaw"
    I just can not believe this. You don't forget to pick somebody up from the airport. I can't imagine ever forgetting to pick somebody up from the airport, doesnt matter who it is, it's just the sort of thing you don't forget.
    He asked me if i can please forgive him for this, but i find that really difficult to do since to me it feels like 'forgetting' is just not an excuse. If something had happened, if he was held up by something, ok, but this. Would almost seem like he did it on purpose (which he says is not the case) but either way (forgetting or doing it on purpose) is just unforgiveable I think.
    What do you guys/girls think? Am i being unreasonable. Is it acceptable to just not show up and give an excuse like this?
    don't forgive him easily. i think he was doing something behind your back

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to discipline this guy in bed. He's been a bad boy.

ReputationRep:
    I got a feeling he cheated on you :|

ReputationRep:
    Dump him.

ReputationRep:
    So you meet up with your long distance boyfriend who you haven't seen for 3 months and you are on TSR?

ReputationRep:
    Horrible horrible bf you have right there.
    Either you break up with him or wonder about this for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    People don't just forget stuff like that! End it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.