Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want a rat! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (I wonder how many people came in here thinking this was about something else)

Anyway... I want a pet rat for when I move into my student house next year, not enough space in halls unfortunatley.

Few questions though:

Do they smell, if yes can it be covered up with air freshners?
    Do they like being stroked (are they tame etc.)?
    Do they cost much to keep?
    Should I get 2 so that they can play with each other?
    Do they escape, if yes will they chew through my wires etc. ;(?

That's all for the moment!

ReputationRep:
    You can get one for free, take a peak under your bed.

On a serious note, I'd advise you against getting one.

ReputationRep:
    Are you allowed pets in halls? In that case i want a ferret. They are cooler than rats. =P

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want a rat?
    I had 2 guinea pigs when i was younger, so if you really want one, get two otherwise they will get so bored and probs increase the chance of chewing through the wires lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasc)

Anyway... I want a pet rat for when I move into my student house next year, not enough space in halls unfortunatley.

Few questions though:

look in the mirror

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    look in the mirror
    Speaking from experience?

ReputationRep:
    If you are allowed Pets in Halls i would recomend Tropical Fish ( something like Tetra's ). Basically Rats make great pets but you have to give about an hours care and attention a day . So yes great loving affection pet. But to time demanding for a UG. If you had Fish, they never bite, you can leave a weekend or even week tablet of food in. Once you have everything it is DIRT Cheap. + Fish you can have quite a few and if you ever get a "friend" for a sleep over. a rat may be a little offputting for a night of Fun and games

Hope this Helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasc)

Few questions though:

Rats are great - my Aunt kept them.

However, from her experience, get the standard ones. None of the fancy colourings. The more common and standard looking, the healthier they are. My biologist Aunt says that rat breeders just don't understand basic genetics, so the fancy ones get problems.

They are very tame - can be held, stroked, or sit on your shoulder quite peacefully. Unlike my lizard, who is very tame, but you have to watch her carefully - she likes to climb over your shoulder, and good luck retrieving a lizard from your back :mad:

They do smell - but not as much as the internet would have you believe. And the more regularly you clean, the less they smell.

ReputationRep:
    get two! and this one each is cuter: http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...02_468x506.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    Speaking from experience?
    ooh, you must think you're really cool

ReputationRep:
    i think lynx should cover the smell
    not sure about any of the answers apart for they like being stroked

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you need to get two, they're social animals. Air fresheners and aerosols in general are bad news for rats, they irritate their respiratory systems which can cause infections. Similarly, wood-based bedding is bad for them so always use something paper based unless you want poorly rats and vets bills. Rats do need time out of their cages to run about and play to keep their minds occupied, so that requires a bit of time, plus they also need big cages as they like to climb and have lots of different levels so if you need to hide the cage it isn't going to be easy. Plus cost obviously; big, decent rat cages aren't cheap unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasc)

Few questions though:

I don't currently have rats, but I've been researching a lot as I hope to get some in 2011 :yes: My friend had some once, and I've wanted some for a decade now :mmm:

Generally rats are quite clean, they regularly groom themselves, so as long as the cage is cleaned out regularly they shouldn't smell (and they can be litter trained)

Once tamed they can be quite affectionate.

The cage will probably be the most expensive thing, but in later life they may suffer from tumours (especially females) so that might cost a bit

Wires would need to be protected during free time, and there wouldn't be any guarantee if they escaped that stuff would be safe.

You should get at least two rats, they are very social animals (allow me to post a video I didn't make
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasc)

Few questions though:

If you think your landlord may possibly realise you have pets and there is something in your contract against keeping pets don't get them. You will be given a choice to leave the property or get rid of the rats. Already enough homeless animals in the world.

They don't smell if you clean them out throroughly and regularly ( once a week and wiping down cage with a cleaner that is suitable for animals- pet shops sell these). Rats have very sensitive respiratory systems so no air freshners or smoking in the room they live in. Opening the window is the best idea.

They are tame if you handle them regularly. Females are a bit livelier and remain so as they get older. Males mellow with age.

Routine costs are cheap. A good cage brought new is around £80-100. Food is inexpensive. The best bedding which doesn't upset their breathing is cardboard/paper based. A bit more expensive but cheaper than vets' bills. HOWEVER rats are prone to tumours and respiratory problems. A consultation at the vets is £15+ without any prescriptions. My rat underwent an operation to remove two tumours. It cost me £100 two years ago. Pets deserve to be taken to vets when they are poorly so make sure you can afford to cover emergencies if necessary. It may never happen but best not let the creature suffer.

Rats are social creatures so two or more is best. Same sex unless neutered. If you adopt older rats then get a bonded pair rather than two separate ones. Some will get on with strangers but ones who already live together happily are the best option. Rats like toys to play with too- this site has some http://www.ratwarehouse.co.uk/

They shouldn't escape from a properly designed cage unless you forget to close it properly. Supervise them when you let them out. Some like to chew wires etc given the opportunity, others don't.

I don't want to sound harsh with all this but rats are lovely lovely intelligent animals who deserve the best care. If you can't give it at the moment, wait until you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    ooh, you must think you're really cool
    Come at me bro

ReputationRep:
    We were told at the estate agents that everything was ok except cats and dogs.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you take it home when you go home for Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasc)
    Honestly, i can't say "YES!" enough. I've had about 15 rats, (2-3 at a time) and every single one of them was incredibly attached to their sisters/"buddies". If they weren't eating/going to the loo they were constantly attached at the hip! I have heard some excuses for keeping rats alone such as "they're not as interested in me" but it simply is not true - every rat I've had has been incredibly affectionate and very eager to seek out human contact (including running to the cage door when I walked in my room, to say "come and get me!"). And is a little bit of extra attention really worth depriving such a social animal? (I'm not accusing you of that, just angry at the girl! (this was another forum)) It's not at all a case of "better with" it's simply necessary for their wellbeing. Of course, you get exceptions, but they are extremely rare. I've only met and heard of rat-aggressive rats in exceptional cases, or when males are able to smell females.
    I only had one rat alone, and that was for a couple of weeks; when her sister died, and before we got another pair of rats. In those weeks of her being alone, she completely changed and became so withdrawn and only left her hiding house to eat. It was blatent. And when she was introduced to the new pair, a few days in, she was back to her perky self. <3

Also regarding chewing, one of mine had a phase of chewing a couple of tv wires (thankfully when turned off, also unimportant ones) and teddies but that's it - also it's my own fault for not watching her in those moments! (I would ensure my room was safe and there was no way to get out, obviously).

Also, just wanted to agree that they are very easy to tame - even if nervous before. With a calm person, patience and regular handling, they become tame and affectionate very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like one as well

ReputationRep:
    One thing to remember with rats is that they are quite prone mammary tumours, they're usually benign but will require surgery otherwise they can grow quite big and interfere with your ratties quality of life. That's something to keep in mind, make sure you keep some money put aside for vet bills.

Other than that though they make great pets, very inquisitive and friendly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.