Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know I may sound like another one of the hipster vintage hordes that seem to be cropping up everywhere(at least where I live they are) but I'm fed up with plain old hoodies and jeans all the time.Comfy yes,but getting a bit boring for me.I've always been curious about this fashion,and wanted to wear it,but never had the confidence.Now I think..to hell with that! Basically, any ideas/links would be helpful.I know true vintage is pretty exspensive but something quirky would be nice.I am on a budget(still in high school,5th year and my job doesnt pay much)

I like things like floaty boho dresses(a la melinda from Ghost Whisperer) waistcoats peasant shirts,beads and messy hair.yeah.that sounded cheesy.sorry.

Thanks to anyone who actually read this ramble.

ReputationRep:
    Rags and a pair of sandals. Can't think more vintage than that.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite what I was meaning...thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    This thread caught my eye as I run a small vintage clothing business and I can't recommend enough 'Beyond Retro'! Some of the stuff is a bit out there if you've never worn vintage before but it is very cheap, original and the shop has a great atmosphere! They have a website that they've just started, but if you can I'd go to the shop, there's one in East London (BIG warehouse) one in Soho (just off Oxford Street) and one in Brighton. It's a bit of a shock when you go in there, and if your not to confident i'd recommend going half vintage half high street to start off with, but anyway happy shopping! xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    Do you mean you want to dress like a certain era? or do you mean that you want help finding out about vintage clothes? Try googling vintage shops and your city and there will be a load. Go and check them out. They generally require more effort than high street clothes shops due to the amount of stuff that you won't want but when you do find something its so worth it. Also, check out vintage fairs

ReputationRep:
    you should check out amanda-thomas.blogspot.com she posts about different bloggers and her own fashion sense which is really cute and vintage then you have gary pepper vintage (also on blogspot) which sorta is modernized vintage fashion. Check it out it's really cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by museobsessed)
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    Do you mean you want to dress like a certain era? or do you mean that you want help finding out about vintage clothes? Try googling vintage shops and your city and there will be a load. Go and check them out. They generally require more effort than high street clothes shops due to the amount of stuff that you won't want but when you do find something its so worth it. Also, check out vintage fairs
    I havent really narrowed it down to a specific era yet,but the elements of the forties and fifties inspire me.There is a few shops in my area that sell vintage clothes,but are pretty exspensive.Better start saving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddThings)
    I havent really narrowed it down to a specific era yet,but the elements of the forties and fifties inspire me.There is a few shops in my area that sell vintage clothes,but are pretty exspensive.Better start saving
    Yeh vintage clothes, particularly in good condition, are expensive. Try charity shops, they sometimes have vintage clothes in for cheap but you have to know what you're looking for and its a large amount of luck involved.
    I'm also into the 30s to the early 60s, I've spent time online just researching. I read blogs like retrochick.co.uk and queensofvintage.com and I check out all the vintage replica sites online that sell vintage style clothes but they're all pretty expensive.
    my blog is commentisphoebe.blogspot.com at the bottom click the posts tagged vintage and there should be lots of interesting stuff that i've found before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by museobsessed)
    Yeh vintage clothes, particularly in good condition, are expensive. Try charity shops, they sometimes have vintage clothes in for cheap but you have to know what you're looking for and its a large amount of luck involved.
    I'm also into the 30s to the early 60s, I've spent time online just researching. I read blogs like retrochick.co.uk and queensofvintage.com and I check out all the vintage replica sites online that sell vintage style clothes but they're all pretty expensive.
    my blog is commentisphoebe.blogspot.com at the bottom click the posts tagged vintage and there should be lots of interesting stuff that i've found before
    Thanks so much,you've really gave me some good ideas.I put this outfit together last night and wondered what you thought.

faded denim blazer with paisly print cuffs and white peasant blouse(cotton)
    brown waist belt
    faded flower print skirt
    tights
    flats
    satchel
    dangly bronze owl necklace

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much,you've really gave me some good ideas.I put this outfit together last night and wondered what you thought.

brown waist belt
    faded flower print skirt
    tights
    flats
    satchel

No problem, happy to help
    That outfit sounds kinda 70s I'm not going to judge what you wear, as long as you like it and think it looks good on you then go for it and wear it with confidence. I love those owl necklaces.
    What I will say is that people tend to use vintage shops in one of two ways. Some people use them to create a look from a certain era like the 50s or 60s or whatever, and some people use it just to get unique clothes that fit in with their own style and not wear the same high street stuff as everyone else. Both are great but it sounds like i'm more the former and you're more the latter.

ReputationRep:
    I know I may sound like another one of the hipster vintage hordes that seem to be cropping up everywhere(at least where I live they are) but I'm fed up with plain old hoodies and jeans all the time.Comfy yes,but getting a bit boring for me.I've always been curious about this fashion,and wanted to wear it,but never had the confidence.Now I think..to hell with that! Basically, any ideas/links would be helpful.I know true vintage is pretty exspensive but something quirky would be nice.I am on a budget(still in high school,5th year and my job doesnt pay much)

I like things like floaty boho dresses(a la melinda from Ghost Whisperer) waistcoats peasant shirts,beads and messy hair.yeah.that sounded cheesy.sorry.

Chairty shops can be a good place to find cheap, quirky, unique vintage pieces

ReputationRep:

brown waist belt
    faded flower print skirt
    tights
    flats
    satchel

That sounds like a pretty outfit. But not really very 'vintage'...

ReputationRep:

Charity shops are a saviour!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks All posts were pretty helpful,and as for that outfit I put together,I ended up not wearing it,looked a bit too seventies for my likng haha not my era really.I guess I'l just keep searching for something cool

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.