Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Xmas present for bf (Wristwatch help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically for xmas i decided to get my boyfriend a wristwatch as part of his christmas present along with some other things. But so far i've been on debenhams john lewis, asos, burton and even argos website, however i cant seem to decide which watch he'll like. I am completely stuck , can anyone give me ideas of a good make and what i should look for in a good watch ? Oh yea and my budget is £50

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I got my boyfriend this watch for xmas last year. In white. He really loved it.

http://www.polyvore.com/limited_edit...ing?id=8050680

I got it in a Republic store though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I got my boyfriend this watch for xmas last year. In white. He really loved it.

http://www.polyvore.com/limited_edit...ing?id=8050680

I got it in a Republic store though...
    ooh i like that
    i would buy it for myself aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayostunner)
    ooh i like that
    i would buy it for myself aha
    Haha I know. I'm thinking about getting it in pink

ReputationRep:
    i'd probably go for something looking like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)

thanks that's looking pretty sleek !

ReputationRep:
    I hate watches like that, there's no good reason to put a tachymeter on it - the only watches that should have it are proper chronographs.

OP, if you can stretch your budget just a little bit further, you can get a vastly superior watch than the throwaway fashion watches you've been looking at. This Accurist is surprisingly good looking for the money, and crams in plenty of features - a proper chronograph (stopwatch) function, 100m water resistance, and a proper dealer network to rely on. If you have problems with a fashion watch, good luck finding someone who can get the right parts for it.

Alternately, this Seiko 5 is one of my favourites from that range, a great dial on it, a proper automatic movement (powered from the movement of your wrist, and consists of proper clockwork), day and date displays, a display caseback (so you can see the movement in action) and a exceptionally good bracelet and clasp for the money - Seiko's clasps are truly brilliant, and I'd argue better than some clasps that Rolex are offering at present. It is a true bargain, and will mark your BF out as someone who knows a decent watch from a throwaway. Highly recommended, it would be my choice at this price point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpont)
    I hate watches like that, there's no good reason to put a tachymeter on it - the only watches that should have it are proper chronographs.

OP, if you can stretch your budget just a little bit further, you can get a vastly superior watch than the throwaway fashion watches you've been looking at. This Accurist is surprisingly good looking for the money, and crams in plenty of features - a proper chronograph (stopwatch) function, 100m water resistance, and a proper dealer network to rely on. If you have problems with a fashion watch, good luck finding someone who can get the right parts for it.

Alternately, this Seiko 5 is one of my favourites from that range, a great dial on it, a proper automatic movement (powered from the movement of your wrist, and consists of proper clockwork), day and date displays, a display caseback (so you can see the movement in action) and a exceptionally good bracelet and clasp for the money - Seiko's clasps are truly brilliant, and I'd argue better than some clasps that Rolex are offering at present. It is a true bargain, and will mark your BF out as someone who knows a decent watch from a throwaway. Highly recommended, it would be my choice at this price point.
    the seiko 5 looks pretty damn good.

i was just giving the watch as an example of the styling i'd go for, rather than a suggestion as to what to buy as i can't say i've ever owned a watch myself.

ReputationRep:
    My last 2 watches have been fossils and I've been very happy with them.
    Even managed to pull due to one!

ReputationRep:
    personally, i'm more of a fan of gold coloured bracelets on the watches, and black faces, however for less than £50, i daresay it would get pretty badly discoloured easily. I've seen some lovely watches around the £80 from pulsar and accurist before that are to my taste. As an exampler, not recommendation, just to show what my taste is, i personally like the look of things like this
    http://www.fhinds.co.uk/Watches/Watc...ch-231855.html
    However everyones different, my dad personally prefers various watches he owns over his yachtmaster. He cant stand a bit of gold on the bracelet.
    On another note, i can't stand square faced watches, or anything with a leather style strap, unless it was something like a pilots watch...
    Also remember, it's the thought that counts, i'm sure he'd appreciate what ever you bought him....

ReputationRep:
    the seiko 5 looks pretty damn good.

i was just giving the watch as an example of the styling i'd go for, rather than a suggestion as to what to buy as i can't say i've ever owned a watch myself.
    Ahh, fair enough - sorry if I came across as a bit grumpy, pointless watches are a real bugbear of mine!

If you personally like that style of watch, there are two models in particular that really sum up what a great chronograph is all about. The first is the Omega Speedmaster Professional, whose fame and respect comes from the fact it was the first watch worn on the Moon, and still a first choice for astronauts today. Cracking manual wind movement, the warmth of an acrylic crystal, and a clean and clear dial makes this a must have for any serious watch collector. Yours for about £2100.

The second is the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona. Probably the most sought after watch in the world, it's notoriously difficult to buy one new. Although waiting lists have come down in the past 18 months, you'll often be quoted with a waiting time of several years. Automatic fully in-house movement (the cal. 4130 is widely regarded as one of the finest chronograph movements out there, its beauty is in its simplicity), recently updated clasp and bracelet, and a choice of white and black dials, it's a watch that many people obsess over. Yours for £6700 in the steel model - also available in steel and gold, 18ct yellow gold, 18ct white gold and 18ct rose gold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpont)
    Ahh, fair enough - sorry if I came across as a bit grumpy, pointless watches are a real bugbear of mine!

If you personally like that style of watch, there are two models in particular that really sum up what a great chronograph is all about. The first is the Omega Speedmaster Professional, whose fame and respect comes from the fact it was the first watch worn on the Moon, and still a first choice for astronauts today. Cracking manual wind movement, the warmth of an acrylic crystal, and a clean and clear dial makes this a must have for any serious watch collector. Yours for about £2100.

The second is the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona. Probably the most sought after watch in the world, it's notoriously difficult to buy one new. Although waiting lists have come down in the past 18 months, you'll often be quoted with a waiting time of several years. Automatic fully in-house movement (the cal. 4130 is widely regarded as one of the finest chronograph movements out there, its beauty is in its simplicity), recently updated clasp and bracelet, and a choice of white and black dials, it's a watch that many people obsess over. Yours for £6700 in the steel model - also available in steel and gold, 18ct yellow gold, 18ct white gold and 18ct rose gold.
    haha not sure i'll be able to afford either of those for another several years...

i've never quite understood how watches like those cost so much money, surely the R&D and manufacturing costs can't be THAT high

ReputationRep:
    haha not sure i'll be able to afford either of those for another several years...

i've never quite understood how watches like those cost so much money, surely the R&D and manufacturing costs can't be THAT high
    Well, they are pretty complex things. Rolex, for example, have several large, state of the art factories - the costs for the toolings would be massive, and then you have to take into account the wages of all the staff involved, training costs for master watchmakers, materials (they do absolutely everything in house, including smelting metals), chronometer testing (a certification process where a movement is tested in several different positions and temperatures over a fortnight, to guarantee a certain level of accuracy), security, advertising and the production of other materials. Their R & D budget must be pretty huge as well - in the past few years, they've developed the world's first mechanical watch with a programmable memory, an entirely new paramagnetic alloy for hairsprings, several colours of ceramic for bezels, in house shock absorbers, and the world's highest depth rated diving watch (exclusing oil filled watches, as that's cheating!). Of course, there is always going to be an element where you are just paying for the brand name, but it's a small price to pay for the steady prices that your watch will maintain further down the line. The other nice thing about Rolex is that they're actually a charitable foundation, and profits left over after running costs are donated to several very worthy charities

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys but i'll admit im now even more confused lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm giving my boyfriend this one for christmas:

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-nixon-...p99931670.html

Although we didn't buy each other 1-year anniversary presents, which is why it's that amount. I'm getting one that's slightly cheaper but he's getting it engraved

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.