Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What retail outlets do you dislike the most? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sports Direct - the never ending 'closing down' sales, the fact that they are actually quite expensive, not to mention that most of what they sell is utter junk (lonsdale, anyone?)

WHSmith - the 'half price' chocolates they always try to force on you at the till. The fact they advertise items as being on offer when in fact it's just their normal price. e.g. I somehow doubt a basic ring binder cost £6 before its price was 'halved' to £3.

HMV - now that all other record shops are gone, they have a complete monopoly of the high street, and boy do they know it. Bumping up prices, removing the student discount, no refunds on items, even if they haven't been opened. I'm surprised people still shop there when you can buy most items much cheaper online.

What annoys me is not the price of the items, its the fact they take consumers for absolute mugs.

ReputationRep:
    WHSmith is good quality but expensive

ReputationRep:
    HMV refunds stuff...
    I do them day in and day out.

I dislike most retail stores. Online ftw.

ReputationRep:
    They all seem to suck arse in their own and unique way. But yeah WHsmith is a real nazi shop.

ReputationRep:
    HMV. I'm not suprised it's in decline, I am suprised it's lasted this long. Too expensive, sell everything for far much more than it's worth.

Tesco - their stores have sprung up pretty much everywhere, and have thus succeeded in effectively steamrolling the competition without anyone batting an eyelid. Because of their size, they are getting away with price fixing and bad customer service. A lot of the smaller local stores have zilch in the way of special offers, meaning you pay extra for the convenience.

Starbucks - their coffee is usually burnt and there really isn't a huge taste difference between a lot of their products - no matter what you order, it's still got the same milky magma hiding somewhere near the bottom of the cup. It's also quite expensive compared to Costa, which is higher quality and marginally cheaper.

HMV - piss artists. Everything is much cheaper online, and I don't see how selling Xbox 360 launch titles from 2006 for £40 is good business sense when you can buy them pre-owned for £8.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      Tesco - their stores have sprung up pretty much everywhere, and have thus succeeded in effectively steamrolling the competition without anyone batting an eyelid. Because of their size, they are getting away with price fixing and bad customer service. A lot of the smaller local stores have zilch in the way of special offers, meaning you pay extra for the convenience.

Starbucks - their coffee is usually burnt and there really isn't a huge taste difference between a lot of their products - no matter what you order, it's still got the same milky magma hiding somewhere near the bottom of the cup. It's also quite expensive compared to Costa, which is higher quality and marginally cheaper.

HMV - piss artists. Everything is much cheaper online, and I don't see how selling Xbox 360 launch titles from 2006 for £40 is good business sense when you can buy them pre-owned for £8.
      I would have mentioned Tesco, but since I go out of my way not to shop there, I forgot about it :rolleyes:

But yeah, it's awful.

ReputationRep:
      Topshop, because they don't make clothes for normal sized people, and they're horrible and overpriced anyway.

ReputationRep:
      I disagree about Sports Direct. It's actually pretty good for shorts/football stuff/tennis stuff/cheap sportswear. Although obviously if you're looking for high class fashion you're better off elsewhere...

ReputationRep:
      HMV - means supermarkets dont try to compete with online prices hence i have to wait for stuff to be posted.
      Clothes wise - New look and their obession with larger size litterly i cant find anything in a size 8/10 even on the day new stock comes in

ReputationRep:
      Primark.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by (:Becca(:)
      Topshop, because they don't make clothes for normal sized people, and they're horrible and overpriced anyway.
      Define 'normal sized'.

Starbucks

Jack Wills

ReputationRep:
        Primark

ReputationRep:
        T J Hughes in Glasgow. About 400 floors of dull, monotonous rubbish...

ReputationRep:
        Starbucks, Jack Wills, abercrombie, Hollister...

ReputationRep:
        I really dislike TKMaxx and Primark, sure there is a lot of cheap semi-useful things available, but it doesn't make up for the 'tat' you can get.

ReputationRep:
        Anywhere that the staff always to push you to buy something else after you've given an order no matter how silly - "anything else?". E.g. I've ordered some cake and a coffee and been asked "would you like crisps with that?". No I wouldn't because that sounds disgusting. Are cafe staff on commission?

Anywhere with really complicated pricing, terms and conditions and hidden charges e.g. all phone companies.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by (:Becca(:)
        The quality of their clothes is awful. However they do nice shoes, good quality too.

ReputationRep:
        Got to say, I used to work in WHSmiths, and management would get really arsey with us if we didnt push the special offer stuff at the tills. Dont be annoyed with the staff, they're just doing their job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.