Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about working in luxury goods? Any general advice would be great...I also have a question specific to my own career path

I'm interested in the corporate structure of luxury goods companies and how one gets to a management level - I'm gathering marketing isn't the best route although it seems to have the most interesting entry level jobs. I have work experience in marketing in a related field and through that I know someone at one of the companies I'd like to work for which is a good start...but I'm worried that that might limit progression in the long term.

I guess my main question is which areas (available to graduates) are the most influential? I'm still a little mystified by what each division within the company does - can anyone recommend some general reading on the subject?

Back to my situation: which of the following options (all current possibilities after a LOT of networking!) would create the best career in the long term?

1. entering my ideal company as marketing assistant after graduating from uni

2. business position at a high-end fashion house - still don't know which area I should express an interest in

3. business position at huge energy company - as above; I can request to work in any area

4. finance - I think corporate finance would be ideal, but (considering the level of competition) realistically I'll be looking at wealth management roles because I'm far better suited to them

5. L'Oreal graduate programme - I would absolutely love to work for L'Oreal!! but the grad scheme is so competitive that despite knowing a lot about the beauty industry I can't expect anything

I'm currently strongly geared towards finance as wealth management would actually be a great career instead of luxury goods and I want to establish my financial independence ASAP and banking...well... But I do worry that it's the least impressive area should one move out of finance unlike something like M&A which would suggest great business understanding.

but I don't want to abandon my dreams of champagne and diamonds and very very expensive leather accessories....

ReputationRep:
    All those jobs are VERY competitive.

L'Oreal, when I interviewed with them last year had 1,000 applicants for around 30 places on the marketing grad scheme. Assessment Centres were very very competitive and the final round was quite tough as well. They are very focused on getting the right 'fit' in terms of candidate so they really are hot on their staff being well groomed and all that bs.

Fashion houses are extremely competitive I worked with Vogue House on a major conference a few years ago and the numbers are very low.

I'd argue wealth management is even more competitive than M&A purely b/c the headcount is VERY VERY low i.e Deutsche Bank only took 2 people onto the grad scheme last year. But places like Barclays Wealth take a bigger cohort. Again its very tough but you can transition into fashion esp if you work with retail clients etc.

In all cases, networking will work but it takes a long time to develop relationships with people. Drop me a line if you need any more questions answered on this.

Gucci hire ALOT of ex-GS/MS bankers into corp strategy or McK consultants.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.