Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harvard referencing system Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand it!

I think i'm going to be put infront of the plagerism panel by the end of this year :mad:

Anyway if I quote what someone has said in a journal for example i quote G. Stanley Hall from a journal but the journal has been written by someone else what do i put in my reference, the journal or the book where the original quote came from? Does the even make sense? Please help!

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzzy?)
    I don't understand it!

I think i'm going to be put infront of the plagerism panel by the end of this year :mad:

Anyway if I quote what someone has said in a journal for example i quote G. Stanley Hall from a journal but the journal has been written by someone else what do i put in my reference, the journal or the book where the original quote came from? Does the even make sense? Please help!

Thanks in advance
    Why is this in Psychology; every discipline uses Harvard referencing.

Anyway, this site will do it for you: http://www.neilstoolbox.com/bibliogr...ator/index.htm

And btw, you quote the book, not the journal. Only quote the journal if you have it as an original source. The book you're reading is paraphrasing a journal, it's not the journal itself, so you reference the book.

ReputationRep:
    If you can put both do it, just to be on the safe side.

Here's a tool to help btw
    http://www.citethisforme.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Why is this in Psychology; every discipline uses Harvard referencing.

Anyway, this site will do it for you: http://www.neilstoolbox.com/bibliogr...ator/index.htm

And btw, you quote the book, not the journal. Only quote the journal if you have it as an original source. The book you're reading is paraphrasing a journal, it's not the journal itself, so you reference the book.
    Oh because we've been given this stlye in psychology wasn't sure if everyone used the same one.

I don't have the book just the journal, so do i actually go find the book and reference that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    If you can put both do it, just to be on the safe side.

Here's a tool to help btw
    http://www.citethisforme.com/
    Oh thanks, I needed something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzzy?)
    Oh because we've been given this stlye in psychology wasn't sure if everyone used the same one.

I don't have the book just the journal, so do i actually go find the book and reference that?
    Oh, no sorry, I thought you were reading a book which quoted a journal. I'm confused, what exactly are you quoting?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, no sorry, I thought you were reading a book which quoted a journal. I'm confused, what exactly are you quoting?
    Erm I'm reading a journal which quotes a well known psychologist, so im wondering whether i quote the journal or i quote the psychologist's book? The author of the journal is not the person im quoting however the quote is in the journal :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzzy?)
    Erm I'm reading a journal which quotes a well known psychologist, so im wondering whether i quote the journal or i quote the psychologist's book? The author of the journal is not the person im quoting however the quote is in the journal :s
    Well, if it were me I'd reference the quote to the journal, but attribute the quote (in my text) to the bloke who actually wrote it. As I said, you don't have the book yourself, so don't reference it.

That's what I normally do anyway. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    So the situation is that there's a Journal (let's call it Journal), which contains an article (called 'Article') in issue X written by A. Andrews, who mentions Q. Quaddock's quote ("blah blah blah") on page Y?

What Andrews should have done is referenced where he got that quote from, in which case you can generally use the same reference as him (trusting him not to quote misleadingly). If he hasn't, I'd go for something like: Quaddock, Q. in Andrews, A. (2010). 'Article'. Journal. X, pp.Y.

Note that, unless psychology is very different to everything else, you'd be referring to an article within a journal: the journal itself doesn't have an author, it has an editor.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if it were me I'd reference the quote to the journal, but attribute the quote (in my text) to the bloke who actually wrote it. As I said, you don't have the book yourself, so don't reference it.

That's what I normally do anyway. :dontknow:
    Yeh, that makes sense thanks! Now to figure out how to actually reference this aha

Anyway thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Look no further. Use the link below, it will enable Word to reference in Harvard style. But, you gotta know how to use Word referencing obviously - after that its a piece of a cake and a real time saver. Hopw this helps

http://davidburela.wordpress.com/200...-office-20007/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    So the situation is that there's a Journal (let's call it Journal), which contains an article (called 'Article') in issue X written by A. Andrews, who mentions Q. Quaddock's quote ("blah blah blah") on page Y?

What Andrews should have done is referenced where he got that quote from, in which case you can generally use the same reference as him (trusting him not to quote misleadingly). If he hasn't, I'd go for something like: Quaddock, Q. in Andrews, A. (2010). 'Article'. Journal. X, pp.Y.

Note that, unless psychology is very different to everything else, you'd be referring to an article within a journal: the journal itself doesn't have an author, it has an editor.
    Oh yeh, I did look through the journal's refernce list but couldn't figure out which one it was so i'm just referencing the journal thanks for your advice though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzzy?)
    Yeh, that makes sense thanks! Now to figure out how to actually reference this aha

Anyway thanks!
    Lol it's fine. And use the generators ^^ they'll work it for you. I haven't manually referenced in like 3 years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzzy?)

Wtf Psych department is teaching you to use Harvard instead of APA?

ReputationRep:
    I would reference the original book/source from which the quote came from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Wtf Psych department is teaching you to use Harvard instead of APA?
    Yep! We've been told that's what psychology uses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzzy?)
    Yep! We've been told that's what psychology uses!
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    :lolwut:
    :hmmm: is that wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I though apa was standard for psychology courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzzy?)
    :hmmm: is that wrong?
    Yes. Psychology journals use APA referencing.

Pretty much every department in the UK uses APA instead of Harvard for this reason.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.