Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    MODS: I realise this could turn out like the Mac vs PC threads. If that does happen, don't hesitate to lock this thread.

Here's the situation: Google's just announced the availability of it's new netbook running ChromeOS will be soon, and Jolicloud's just reached v1.1.

-------------------------
    How to try each OS

For anyone wanting to try out Jolicloud without installing or downloading the Windows installer, the Chrome Web Store has a web-app (link on their website, below), and you can use Facebook to sign yourself in if you're OK with that sort of thing, else you can register your own email address with Jolicloud. The one thing that WON'T work is the native app installs, but most data is stored and used in the cloud. OR, you can buy a Jolibook from Amazon if you reside int he UK.

Anyone wanting to try the ChromeOS is going to have to wait until the ChromeOS netbook to come out, or use the Web Store functionality (used above to try a limited version of Jolicloud ) of the Chrome web browser to get familiar. The netbook should be available in the next few weeks.

--------------------------------
    My opinion on the matter

My thoughts are that both of the OSes are designed with the cloud in mind, both are based with the Linux kernel, but Jolicloud wins because of the availability of local apps and storage in case you can't get online, and the nice integration with web storage services besides Google is nice.

That said, I do see the advantage of Chrome OS because of it's integration and failiarity to the Chrome web browserfor the general public and the perception that it's it's own OS.

Overall, I do see a potential paradigm shift on the horizon, but what I see concerns me about the possibility of being overly dependent on the web.

What do you all think?

NB: KEEP IT CLEAN! PLEASE? OR TIMMY GETS IT!!

-------
    Links
    -------

Link to Jolicloud:http://www.jolicloud.com/
    Link to Google Chrome OS:http://www.google.com/chromeos/
    Link to Chromium OS (open implementation):http://www.chromium.org/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tathrim)
    My thoughts are that both of the OSes are designed with the cloud in mind, both are based with the Linux kernel, but Jolicloud wins because of the availability of local apps and storage in case you can't get online, and the nice integration with web storage services besides Google is nice.
    Some Chrome web apps can be used in an offline mode. It is up to the app to support this however.

ReputationRep:
    MODS: I realise this could turn out like the Mac vs PC threads. If that does happen, don't hesitate to lock this thread.

Here's the situation: Google's just announced the availability of it's new netbook running ChromeOS will be soon, and Jolicloud's just reached v1.1.

How to try each OS

For anyone wanting to try out Jolicloud without installing or downloading the Windows installer, the Chrome Web Store has a web-app (link on their website, below), and you can use Facebook to sign yourself in if you're OK with that sort of thing, else you can register your own email address with Jolicloud. The one thing that WON'T work is the native app installs, but most data is stored and used in the cloud. OR, you can buy a Jolibook from Amazon if you reside int he UK.

Anyone wanting to try the ChromeOS is going to have to wait until the ChromeOS netbook to come out, or use the Web Store functionality (used above to try a limited version of Jolicloud ) of the Chrome web browser to get familiar. The netbook should be available in the next few weeks.

My opinion on the matter

That said, I do see the advantage of Chrome OS because of it's integration and failiarity to the Chrome web browserfor the general public and the perception that it's it's own OS.

Overall, I do see a potential paradigm shift on the horizon, but what I see concerns me about the possibility of being overly dependent on the web.

What do you all think?

NB: KEEP IT CLEAN! PLEASE? OR TIMMY GETS IT!!

-------
    Links
    -------

Link to Jolicloud:http://www.jolicloud.com/
    Link to Google Chrome OS:http://www.google.com/chromeos/
    Link to Chromium OS (open implementation):http://www.chromium.org/
    I have just installed Jolicloud and like the look and feel. cheers for the info.

I want to run a ubuntu app ans it isn't on the "Jolicloud" list so have :
    alt + f1
    sudo synaptic
    and installed

it worked, but I cannot see how to make a link ... in fact I cannot see how to get it to run (apart from in a terminal ... )

ReputationRep:
    I simply can't bear an app running in the browser,no matter it is online or offline. so never will I try the chromeOS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    I have just installed Jolicloud and like the look and feel. cheers for the info.

alt + f1
    sudo synaptic
    and installed

it worked, but I cannot see how to make a link ... in fact I cannot see how to get it to run (apart from in a terminal ... )
    Is it a GUI like unity on ubuntu which you can choose from the login management or merely an app?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)

alt + f1
    sudo synaptic
    and installed

Second page, local apps (I think)

(Original post by yada)
    Is it a GUI like unity on ubuntu which you can choose from the login management or merely an app?
    It's a GUI, but the whole point of the OS is that you are limited to that GUI. You have an offline login, so you can use apps like OOWriter or Vim if you need to, but the focus is on the online section. Personally, I've now had a play with Jolicloud, and it's not too compatible with my proxy (i.e. I can get it to work using alt-F2>Chromium>Settings>...>(proxy settings button), but can't get apt working, and for my usage, Linux Mint is just as light and responsive. I DO see the appeal, but it isn't really for me on my notebook at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Second page, local apps (I think)

Many thanks, the application in question is now up and running. ( it was a piece of maths software).

I think I may stick with this for a while, very stable, quick and I rather like the look.

cheers

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.