Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi people, Im lost at the moment and really need advice. This year I recieved my gcse results and I did quite good. 4A*'s in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Stats, and 7A's in Physics, RE , English Lan, English Lit, History, Geography and French. I applied to just one sixth form which was my school from year 7 to 11. I did not bother applying anywhere else as there was no need. The entry requirements for every a-level subjects was B except Further Maths which was A. So I applied for Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Business AS. On the day of enrolement I went in to officially be signed in the courses by the relevant heads of departments. Now I was told thier decision was final and could not be contested. I had no worries and got signed onto Maths, Biology and Business. I then went to the Chemistry table last and you will not believe what happened. The head of that department had hated me since year 7 and could not stand me because we had several arguments in school, The ***** did not sign my form!! I was shocked, she said theres no way im letting you into my course. I begged her stating I need chemistry for dentistry but she would not listen. So I brought my parents in to complain to the headmaster and he said the final decision is left to the subject head and there was nothing I could do. So i quickly rang every decent sixth form within 10 miles and all of them said it was to late to join as they were full :/ the only other choice was to take chemistry privately but i simply cannot afford it
    I decided to take physics instead of chemistry as I was left with no option. So im currently doing Physics, Biology, Maths, Business. They are all going well and I got AAAA in my mock tests this week. My teachers say if I carry on I am well on course for AAAa after the two years. I've already completed 4 weeks of work experience and have my heart set on dentistry. I've emailed all the unis and they say i need chemistry a-level at A to apply. Im really lost and do not know what to do :-( im considering maybe taking optometery then applying as a graduate, does anyone know what I should do??

ReputationRep:
    Will you be eligible for foundation dental courses?

ReputationRep:
    No because you are only allowed once science and two arts subjects when applying to them, my physics, biology and maths count as three sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saf_1)
    No because you are only allowed once science and two arts subjects when applying to them, my physics, biology and maths count as three sciences
    Some schools will accept chemistry to AS level. Could you not wait until you get your Alevel results, apply afterwards and do chemistry to AS level during your gap year?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how a teacher can decide to not let you on a course if your an able student and there room did she give a reason

ReputationRep:
    Bewafa: Which uni's accept just AS chemistry and I though people who do a-levels in 3 years are not allowed?
    little angel: The chemistry teacher said I socialize in class too much and never get classwork done. I must admit I did not work hard in the classes and only revised before the modules. But seeing as I got an A* in chemistry triple science clearly I am capable.

ReputationRep:
    simple solution: nobody looks at AS results. You can do it in your A2 year- Completing the whole chem. course in 1 year.
    You don't need chem. at AS right now. Call/ email those universities just to be sure.

However i get u in this position. This exact situation happened with me.
    I simply self studied the course, paid the entrance fee and sat the exam.
    Alternatively,
    It is very do able, i did!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Jitesh123.

But can you drop AS physics after the 1st year, and for your 2nd year take up AS chemistry?

at the end of the 2 years you would have full A-levels in Business Studies, Maths, and Biology.

and two AS levels in Physics and Chemistry.

a few schools would still accept AS Chemistry with A-level Biology.

But if not, then I would suggest taking a gap year and taking on A2 Chemistry in your gap year. You would have it to full A-level after your gap year and would become eligible.

I know from looking at their websites that KCL accept Biology & Chemistry with one at AS level and the other at A-level:
    http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/unde...header_search/

same for the Barts dentistry school:

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/admissions...nts/index.html

then again it does depend on where you're looking to go for university. as such have a look at their websites and look for entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Jitesh: I did consider self teaching or doing it in one year but I asked lots of people and they said even though I did get A* in gcse for it, it would be extremely difficult to do it this way and achieve and A.

Get Funky: I checked every uni website and kings, qms allow chemistry as at A and dundee dont mind if you do not have it at all. So I guess I could take chemistry as next year and apply.

The only thing is lets say I get AAA in biology maths physics and aa in chemistry but do not get into any of them for 2012 entry, would you guys recommend I fill out the other ucas places with optometery and then do that for 3 years and apply as a graduate. Or take a gap year and raise my grades higher and apply to the two that accept retakes leeds and sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about dentistry, but I agree that you could possibly drop AS physics, and take up AS and A2 level chemistry and do both in your second year, sounds like you're clever enough to cope! If you explained this to the universities I'm sure they'd give you an offer based upon this, as it clearly shows you know exactly what you want to do and that you're passionate about it.

Also, is there anyone you can complain to about that teacher? That is really really unprofessional and no teacher should ever have ground to do that just because they don't like a student, if they're perfectly capable. My Mother is a teacher and if she ever did that to a student then she's be in a hell of a lot of trouble! Especially if you've told them you need that course for what you want to do at university, no teacher should deny any student that oppurtunity, it's disgusting that the teacher could honestly do that and not care about the consequences.

I hope you get it sorted!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone to all your help, it really does mean a lot. I'll attempt self teaching chemistry and go tuition once a week to iron out anything I do not understand. Since january is too close, I'll sit both exams in june, wish me luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I would not consider taking a gap year to ''raise your grades'' as most unis will think of this as retaking your A levels and do not except it. However, if you use it to finish A2 chemistry, then I think it will be fine.

And also, self learning AS chemistry will be very do-able. However on the other hand, self learning A2 chemistry is a different matter..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xPixie)
    I would not consider taking a gap year to ''raise your grades'' as most unis will think of this as retaking your A levels and do not except it. However, if you use it to finish A2 chemistry, then I think it will be fine.
    This.

My friend wants to do Dentistry. She did 2 A levels and an AS last year, and she's doing an A2 this year, and a few universities (I'm sorry I don't know which ones) have said that they will consider her as each A level will have taken two years.

I'm not the most eloquent of writers, so if I'm not making sense, OP, let me know and I'll rephrase.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.