Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well ive started doing programming i did some VB but personally dont see it as a language but now some teachers are saying lets do C# and i dont know whether i should just argue it out and learn something else as ive been set on C++ or java but dont know the benifits of each language.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but we learnt PHP+Java because they were the easiest languages to learn, and we all studied a common first year(bar a couple of modules) C# is a good language to learn, and quite frankly PHP and Java is a lot easier(we just learnt the basics to get the required grades-and we're networking students, so its not of any use to us)

If you've already done VB, then C# is probably quite good to learn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrynKing)
    Well ive started doing programming i did some VB but personally dont see it as a language but now some teachers are saying lets do C# and i dont know whether i should just argue it out and learn something else as ive been set on C++ or java but dont know the benifits of each language.

Thanks.
    C# is a very good language to learn. It will fully prepare you for all OOP programming, including Java and C++, but you also get the full advantage of the ease of .NET development, and the ludicrously good IDE. Do not underestimate how much it is easier it is to learn programming when you have Visual Studio behind you. The only IDE I like almost as much is QT Creator, for making QT (C++ basically) applications.

What you you mean you don't see VB as a language?
    It is a language. VB6 is a terrible language, sure, but its still a programming language...

ReputationRep:
    I'd learn English as a first language if I was you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    I'd learn English as a first language if I was you.
    That was a poor jibe at spelling. The OP has quite good spelling as well, and C# normally will let you know if you've wrote something wrong I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    That was a poor jibe at spelling. The OP has quite good spelling as well, and C# normally will let you know if you've wrote something wrong I believe.
    I was just joking because his thread title says " Is C# a good first language " instead of " Is C# a good first programming language ".

I was only messing

And Yes OP it is a decent first language to learn as is Java.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right OK. It just looked like sarcasm. That and the majority of people who say it are taking a jibe at the OP's poor English. Good to see thats clear then. TBF, it was in the computing section

ReputationRep:
    Learn C++ first. Put in the effort and become advanced with it. Then the world is pretty much your oyster as far as higher level languages go.

It's what I did and I don't regret it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.