Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a set up where there is a crane like structure which needs to rotate. On the end of the arm is a 1000 kg weight. There is a horizontal handle on the crane which is pushed to rotate the crane around its base. I need to calculate the torque that needs to be applied to the handle. How is this done?

Info: Looking at the 2d pic below, the force on the handle (which i need to find the torque for) is going INTO the screen. The 1000 kg weight is acting DOWN the screen. For clarification I am not trying to calculate the force required to stop the crane from tipping over.

Thanks, JB

ReputationRep:
    T = Ia

where a is radial acceleration

so therefore:

5F = Ia
    5F = mr^2a
    5F = 100ma
    5F = 100 000a
    F = 20000a

How much force depends on how fast you want to accelerate it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.