Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Many courses have less than 14 hours per week contact tiime. Perhaps it would be reasonable to increase this significantly and reduce the number of years required for the course. I realise that Universities may have to work harder - shame!! But it would reduce the debt of students.

ReputationRep:
    University of Buckingham does this, but (of course) charges higher fees per year for two-year degrees.

I would have liked it myself. But I think for most students it is good that the knowledge has time to settle over three years rather than two. Plus you can fill the extra time with work and internships (though I acknowledge you could also fill a sandwich year the same way).

3 years is short enough as it is, when the rest of the world does 4. Two years would be a joke!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cardave)
      Many courses have less than 14 hours per week contact tiime. Perhaps it would be reasonable to increase this significantly and reduce the number of years required for the course. I realise that Universities may have to work harder - shame!! But it would reduce the debt of students.
      A lot of courses just DONT NEED high contact time.

We dont want two year degrees, some places do it, fast track and such, but making all degrees shorted would probably just limit any prestige they already have.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      Yes, but you should be doing work outside of class anyway. Contact time is usually just to point you in the right direction (though it does depend on subject).

If all you're doing is the 14 hours contact time, you're not going to get a first!

ReputationRep:
      I am currently enjoying the large amounts of free time i get. I don't think i would be a fan of a two year system. Having the first year not count was really quite fun aswell! lol. But i guess im just a lazy student and im enjoying it whilst it lasts.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.