Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nothing like posting an anon thread on the student room to help me make up my mind.

Basically, I'm not a promiscuous person or anything like that, and I never imagined I'd find myself in this situation.

Been with my boyfriend for half a year, things have been going great and absolutely nothing has gone wrong. However, I went for uni interviews a few days ago and met a guy there who I really really got on with, completely clicked and by the end of the three interview days he told me he really liked me.

Of course, I didn't act upon it, and I haven't cheated on my boyfriend. I feel like this new guy is better suited with me (same interests, same course etc.) and I'm really confused as to what I should do.

In short:
    1) Is it right to break up with someone when there is nothing going wrong with the relationship?
    2) I'm really confused if I should act upon my feelings and tell the other guy i like him back.

:ninjagirl:

cheers.

ReputationRep:
    So you're gonna break up with your boyfriend, who you've been with for 6 months, for a guy you've known for 3 days?

Really?

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for the boyfriend. Un-knowingly being decided over :-(

ReputationRep:
    I was in literally the same situation at an Oxford interview. Met a girl, we got on brilliantly. I didn't act on it there although I had the chance, or afterwards when I had the chance. I'm with my girlfriend over a year later. And I'm more bored of my life then I have ever been. Meh, that's life I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it's unfair on your boyfriend that you even think about other guy. As someone has already mentioned, it's not worth to break up with someone you have been with 6 months for someone you've known for 3 days but if you think about the other guy, it's only fair if you do.

ReputationRep:
    You're only human.

I'd suggest being friends with the new guy for a while (don't do anything out of character) and get to know him. Who knows. The initial infatuation may wear off soon enough.

I hope everything works out!

ReputationRep:
    Bit*ch please.

ReputationRep:
    I thought these things only happened in the movies... like being approached by a random stranger in Starbucks. I never met anyone on an interview day, pfft.

ReputationRep:
    bigger penis size xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    I think you should let things continue as they are with your boyfriend you said there is nothing wrong. however if you keep thinking about this guy all the time it maybe that you dont love your boyfriend as much as you think you do. Maybe it is best to keep him as a friend for now you have only known him 3 days and like previously said you have been with your boyfriend for 6 months, if things start to go wrong with the boyfriend and you know the new guy well enough i think then it would be okay to act upon it but not right now x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Nothing like posting an anon thread on the student room to help me make up my mind.

Basically, I'm not a promiscuous person or anything like that, and I never imagined I'd find myself in this situation.

Been with my boyfriend for half a year, things have been going great and absolutely nothing has gone wrong. However, I went for uni interviews a few days ago and met a guy there who I really really got on with, completely clicked and by the end of the three interview days he told me he really liked me.

Of course, I didn't act upon it, and I haven't cheated on my boyfriend. I feel like this new guy is better suited with me (same interests, same course etc.) and I'm really confused as to what I should do.

In short:
    1) Is it right to break up with someone when there is nothing going wrong with the relationship?
    2) I'm really confused if I should act upon my feelings and tell the other guy i like him back.

:ninjagirl:

cheers.
    Does the three-day guy live near to you at the moment? I think that's important because if you ultimately end up going to different universities then unless you're a fan of LDRs nothing's going to happen, and you'd've dumped your bf for nothing...

In my experience, the majority of my friends ended up breaking up with their pre-uni bfs/gfs by the beginning of the second term of their fresher year...

For the time being, unless the three-day guy lives near you, you should stay with your bf. Although to be honest, if a guy you've known for three days makes you seriously question your sixth-month relationship with your bf, then things clearly aren't as great between you and your bf as you make them out to be (in my opinion, obviously I can't tell you how you should feel!)...

EDIT: My advice - have a good long think about how much what you have with your bf means to you, and good luck! And pay no attention to the haters

ReputationRep:
    WoW what a stooge!
    You clicked with a guy so you think you should go out with him over your BF who you clicked with also to be actually going out with him in the first place?

Jumping ship all your life will leave you old, and alone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.