Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right so we've been given the official possible briefs for composition in Music AS and we've been told to ponder over which would suit best; as a Pianist the first option suits best for me.

The task:

"Many stories and cartoons feature toys coming to life in the night while children are asleep.

Compose a piece to suggest such a scenario using instrumental timbres of your choice"

It says the toys can be anything from dolls to monsters. I've been really interesting in the post-romantic, impressionistic Debussy preludes and pieces of experimental work by Scriabin. So I concluded that perhaps I could compose a piece of Music depicting monsters coming to life (I really want to make it quite horrific).

And then near the end it will die off slowly but surely.

I just need some tips; I know the examiners are looking for something a little extraordinary since most people will stick to something quite plain and conventional, so I'm really striving to vary the texture, harmonry rhythms etc.

Any advice from perhaps past Music students? And if you're doing Music now want to share some thoughts?

Thanks, anything appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dededex)
    Right so we've been given the official possible briefs for composition in Music AS and we've been told to ponder over which would suit best; as a Pianist the first option suits best for me.

The task:

"Many stories and cartoons feature toys coming to life in the night while children are asleep.

Compose a piece to suggest such a scenario using instrumental timbres of your choice"

It says the toys can be anything from dolls to monsters. I've been really interesting in the post-romantic, impressionistic Debussy preludes and pieces of experimental work by Scriabin. So I concluded that perhaps I could compose a piece of Music depicting monsters coming to life (I really want to make it quite horrific).

And then near the end it will die off slowly but surely.

I just need some tips; I know the examiners are looking for something a little extraordinary since most people will stick to something quite plain and conventional, so I'm really striving to vary the texture, harmonry rhythms etc.

Any advice from perhaps past Music students? And if you're doing Music now want to share some thoughts?

Thanks, anything appreciated!
    The last few minutes of the fourth movement of Shostakovich's 15th Symphony fit this brief perfectly... One of my friends was stuck with his composition until our teacher played this.

You might consider echoing the movements of the toys in your score... staccato rhythms? Irregular time signatures? Chromatic chords/melody? etc. Personally, I'd imagine toys coming to life being almost like a machine getting going again after years of not being used (assuming they're wooden toys, kind of like late 19th century dolls), so I'd try to make my composition a little mechanic... things like irregular time signatures or staccato rhythms could echo how stiff the machine has become in its years of neglect.

I would imagine toys coming to life to be a slow affair.... one at first, then a second, until finally all of them are slowly coming to life, dancing around, for example, a toy shop floor until they're all alive. You may want the tempo to immitate the number of toys alive - as more toys "wake up", increase the tempo.

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rory Vogel)
    The last few minutes of the fourth movement of Shostakovich's 15th Symphony fit this brief perfectly... One of my friends was stuck with his composition until our teacher played this.

You might consider echoing the movements of the toys in your score... staccato rhythms? Irregular time signatures? Chromatic chords/melody? etc. Personally, I'd imagine toys coming to life being almost like a machine getting going again after years of not being used (assuming they're wooden toys, kind of like late 19th century dolls), so I'd try to make my composition a little mechanic... things like irregular time signatures or staccato rhythms could echo how stiff the machine has become in its years of neglect.

I would imagine toys coming to life to be a slow affair.... one at first, then a second, until finally all of them are slowly coming to life, dancing around, for example, a toy shop floor until they're all alive. You may want the tempo to immitate the number of toys alive - as more toys "wake up", increase the tempo.

Hope it helps!
    Yeah that was really good of you thanks

I've just been attracted to really experimental Music lately

ReputationRep:
    Glad I could help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.