The Student Room Group

If all the world's wealth was divided equally among the people...

The world GDP Per Capita would be 8455 USD.
EDIT: I did say that a reduction from our current GNI Per Capita to the above figure seems a fair price to pay for global quality, but this being TSR the idea was completely destroyed within a millisecond.

Oh, and I got neg repped too.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

ask stalin
Reply 2
Money would instantly become valueless... just random numbers with no meaning at all.
Reply 3
Original post by Blueflare
Money would instantly become valueless... just random numbers with no meaning at all.

I was waiting for a 'correct' answer like that. My point was mainly I wouldn't mind living on that much if it means world equality; seems a fair price to pay.
Original post by .:Doctor:.
I for one would love to see this happen.

Why? What happens when it's done? The world would come to a stand still.
That's not really progressive thinking now, is it?

Giving poor people a lump sum of money is not the answer, it's much better to provide them with the skills, education and resources so that they can earn for themselves and make a living. This should then allow them to secure their future generation and provide them with the same means to have a decent quality of life.

There is that well-known saying, give a man a fish you'll feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you'll feed him for life.
Reply 6
Original post by Panda Vinnie
That's not really progressive thinking now, is it?

Giving poor people a lump sum of money is not the answer, it's much better to provide them with the skills, education and resources so that they can earn for themselves and make a living. This should then allow them to secure their future generation and provide them with the same means to have a decent quality of life.

There is that well-known saying, give a man a fish you'll feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you'll feed him for life.

Giving every country a wad of cash wasn't really my point, just that I wouldn't mind dropping to that level if it meant fairness.
Better still, everyone shared a percentage of their annual savings. Just a small amount, say 2.5% of the total saving from that year would go to the poor.
Original post by charcharchar
ask stalin

Ask Stalin how he didn't do that?
Reply 9
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
Better still, everyone shared a percentage of their annual savings. Just a small amount, say 2.5% of the total saving from that year would go to the poor.

sounds familiar...
Giving every country a wad of cash wasn't really my point, just that I wouldn't mind dropping to that level if it meant fairness.

If you could enforce that everyone gets an equal amount of the world income, what would be the incentive to supply any labour to contribute to this world income. There's no point giving everyone the same proportion of the cake, if that causes the cake to shrink to a tiny proportion of its initial size. The vast majority of people will be made worse off.
Reply 11
Aaawww! I wouldnt mind marrying someone like you :daydreaming:
Reply 12
The world GDP Per Capita would be 8455 USD.
EDIT: I did say that a reduction from our current GNI Per Capita to the above figure seems a fair price to pay for global quality, but this being TSR the idea was completely destroyed within a millisecond.

Oh, and I got neg repped too.

So your meant to live off 8 grand? For the rest of your life?
Original post by Samrout
sounds familiar...

whats your opinion on it? it seems like a good idea to me
Reply 14
And then if people wanted to buy food, services etc. then other people would instantly become rich - the whole process will create the same spread of wealth in the end.
Original post by Blueflare

No..capitalism would just start again
Reply 16
Original post by I'mNewHere
No..capitalism would just start again

ofc, but It'd be nice for just one second knowing that money doesn't matter...
Reply 17
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
whats your opinion on it? it seems like a good idea to me

I agree, it's a good idea.
Reply 18
Equality =/= Equity
Reply 19
Original post by Aj12
So your meant to live off 8 grand? For the rest of your life?

It's USD, too... so that converts to £5,350 :O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending