Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I eliminate the garlic and onion from my diet, will my bad breath go? Watch

I suffer from constant bad breath, and for years i've been trying to wrk out why i have it. Whenever i visit the dentist, he always tells me that my gums and teeth are in perfect shape. So i figured that it's perhaps due to my diet? I've noticed that my mum puts excessive excessive amounts of garlic and onion in the curries she cooks, she blends blocks of onion and garlic into jars and pours them into the things she cooks. She uses very heavy spices too.

Do you think this is why i get bad breath? If I avoid her food for a while and eat something quite bland like vegetables and pasta would it help? im thinknig of taking chlorophyll as a supplement, as its known for its detoxifying properties.

ReputationRep:
    possibly.

ReputationRep:
    It could be tonsil stones/Tonsilloliths - Rub/push over your tonsils. If yellow/white stones falls out or appear from the creases, thats what you have and its known to cause vile-smelling breath (the stones are basically mucous and bacteria etc that has hardened).

ReputationRep:
    It could also be the fact that you arent DRINKING ENOUGH WATER !!!

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure if it would make much difference? It might but I do eat a lot of garlic and onion and my breath is perfectly fine. When you brush your teeth do you brush yout tongue too? Coz it might be the cause of your bad breath.

ReputationRep:
    Might do...but you also risk being attacked by Vampires!

Brush Teeth after every meal? Carry gum?

ReputationRep:
    Brush your teeth - all of your teeth, the back and the front of them. (Most people don't do the back.) At least twice a day. Brush your tongue. Floss regularly. Use mouthwash daily.
    Lowering the onion and garlic content in your food can't help. Like another poster said, check your tonsils ets for any signs of infection.

ReputationRep:
    The onion and garlic may be a contribution, if you really eat as much as you say. You can't avoid your mum forever - just ask her to tone it down a bit. My brother has bad breath, but after he started using mouthwash it's gone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.