Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I need a effective, cheap weight-gaining supplement that is WHEY-FREE watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Does anyone know of an effective, cheap weight-gaining supplement that is WHEY-FREE? (As in whey powder.)

Bit of background. I lost my large intestine a few years ago and have really struggled to maintain my previously excellent body weight and muscle definition. In fact I now lose weight and muscle really easily.

At uni I used to take maximuscle protein which did wonders. But it's too expensive for me now and to make matters worse my muslim father would not approve of whey powder in his house.

However I don't want to wait until I've moved out to start taking protein supplements/other weight gainers again. So I need your help please!

Apologies if I'm being a ditz and said something stupid (like conflated weight-gainers and protein).

ReputationRep:
    What gives a weight gainer approval over whey? And why is whey seen as bad? :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    What gives a weight gainer approval over whey? And why is whey seen as bad? :s:
    Sorry, maybe my post was a bit ambiguous.

I basically just want something that will make me gain weight but not make me fat (obviously I will work out too!).

It's important that it doesn't have whey in it because apparently whey is crushed pig bones and so not allowed by Islam (according to my father - which is all that matters in this case).

I'm not muslim so to me there's no problem with consuming whey but I want to respect my father's wishes in his own house, and to be honest our relationship is not so strong at the moment and I'd rather not make thins worse!

ReputationRep:
    "Whey is left over when milk coagulates, and contains everything that is soluble from milk. It is a 5% solution of lactose in water, with some minerals and lactalbumin.[7] It is removed after cheese is processed. The fat is removed and then is processed for human foods.[7] Processing can be by simple drying, or the protein content can be increased by removing lipids and other non-protein materials.[8] For example, spray drying after membrane filtration separates the proteins from whey.[9]

Whey protein can be denatured by heat. High heat (such as the sustained high temperatures above 72 °C associated with the pasteurization process) denatures whey proteins. While native whey protein does not aggregate upon renneting or acidification of milk, denaturing the whey protein triggers hydrophobic interactions with other proteins, and the formation of a protein gel.[8] Heat-denatured whey can still cause allergies in some people.[10]"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    "Whey is left over when milk coagulates, and contains everything that is soluble from milk. It is a 5% solution of lactose in water, with some minerals and lactalbumin.[7] It is removed after cheese is processed. The fat is removed and then is processed for human foods.[7] Processing can be by simple drying, or the protein content can be increased by removing lipids and other non-protein materials.[8] For example, spray drying after membrane filtration separates the proteins from whey.[9]

Whey protein can be denatured by heat. High heat (such as the sustained high temperatures above 72 °C associated with the pasteurization process) denatures whey proteins. While native whey protein does not aggregate upon renneting or acidification of milk, denaturing the whey protein triggers hydrophobic interactions with other proteins, and the formation of a protein gel.[8] Heat-denatured whey can still cause allergies in some people.[10]"
    Thank you for the information!

Unfortunately my father is a stubborn character. If he was told by our local Islamic leaders that we shouldn't consume whey then he's unlikely to budge on the matter, even if I show him this...

I take it that non-whey based weight-gainging supplements are difficult to come by then?

Could anyone please recommend cheap effective weight gainers (whey or non-way) in any case? I could always try to convince him, I suppose...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Basically what Cowsforsale said, it's not anything to do with pigs... I'd try to show your father some sources regarding whey and where it comes from, though I can imagine if religion is involved it would be a tough ask. I've never used a weight gainer so I don't know about ingredients but I'd imagine nearly all have whey protein in them. Do you like milk? If so that's about the best weight gain product as it's relatively easy to get a lot of calories from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7he5haman)
    It's important that it doesn't have whey in it because apparently whey is crushed pig bones and so not allowed by Islam (according to my father - which is all that matters in this case).

I'm not muslim so to me there's no problem with consuming whey but I want to respect my father's wishes in his own house, and to be honest our relationship is not so strong at the moment and I'd rather not make thins worse!
    As has been said already, whey is just a byproduct of cheese making. The Maximuscle supplement you bought previously almost certainly contained whey protein.

Just buy the whey, say it's milk powder, destroy the invoice and scratch the small label off the bag identifying what it really is if you have to.

ReputationRep:
    Cake.

ReputationRep:
    What about soy protein and powdered oats? 2 scoops of oats/1 scoop soy is 500kcal, 35g protein, 70g carbs and 9g of fat, then on top of that you have to stuff in the milk as well.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products...rotein_isolate
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/instant_oats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    As has been said already, whey is just a byproduct of cheese making. The Maximuscle supplement you bought previously almost certainly contained whey protein.

Just buy the whey, say it's milk powder, destroy the invoice and scratch the small label off the bag identifying what it really is if you have to.

Firstly, I'm not stupid. I know perfectly well what has already been said - indeed I even acknowledged it - so there's no need to reiterate it. Further, if you read my original post carefully you'd've noticed that I KNEW maximuscle has whey in it - and further that I'm not muslim and have no problem with whey.

In my second post I mention that relations with my father are somewhat strained - lying to him/concealling the truth is hardly going to improve matters, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsOurDecision)
    What about soy protein and powdered oats? 2 scoops of oats/1 scoop soy is 500kcal, 35g protein, 70g carbs and 9g of fat, then on top of that you have to stuff in the milk as well.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products...rotein_isolate
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/instant_oats
    Thanks for the pointer! I'll check them out

EDIT: pos rep for you

ReputationRep:
    Crushed pig bones. Hilarious.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    how can he think its crushed pig bones? has he never heard of little miss muffet, sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey? :tongue:

good on you for respecting his wishes though, most people don't give a damn about their parents opinions these days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Crushed pig bones. Hilarious.
    Wow, thank you for such an enlightening post. Just the sort of reply I was looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    how can he think its crushed pig bones? has he never heard of little miss muffet, sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey? :tongue:

good on you for respecting his wishes though, most people don't give a damn about their parents opinions these days
    Well if you're told this when you're about seven and at the time are freightened about disobeying your religion/elders and are not hot on your nursery rhymes, then you're going to believe it!

It's not so much his opinion - it's his feelings/my wanting to not make things worse!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I'm not stupid. I know perfectly well what has already been said - indeed I even acknowledged it - so there's no need to reiterate it. Further, if you read my original post carefully you'd've noticed that I KNEW maximuscle has whey in it - and further that I'm not muslim and have no problem with whey.
    Whether you knew it or not it wasn't clear in your first post - you mention that you once used free Maximuscle and then in a completely different clause you go on to say that your father doesn't agree with the use of whey protein. Likewise you were initially ambiguous as to what whey protein actually was until someone else explained it to you so.

But hey, its not worth getting upset about.

In my second post I mention that relations with my father are somewhat strained - lying to him/concealling the truth is hardly going to improve matters, is it?
    It will only strain relations if he finds out which is extremely unlikely if you do your job properly. Of course if you actually go and inform your father as to the truth you won't have to live in his shadow or **** about with invoices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Whether you knew it or not it wasn't clear in your first post - you mention that you once used free Maximuscle and then in a completely different clause you go on to say that your father doesn't agree with the use of whey protein. Likewise you were initially ambiguous as to what whey protein actually was until someone else explained it to you so.

But hey, its not worth getting upset about.

It will only strain relations if he finds out which is extremely unlikely if you do your job properly. Of course if you actually go and inform your father as to the truth you won't have to live in his shadow or **** about with invoices.
    Read again:

"But it's too expensive for me now and to make matters worse my muslim father would not approve of whey powder in his house. "

Maximuscle was referred to in that sentence. (And it wasn't free.) The second clause would not make sense unless I knew maximuscle had whey in it.

Yes, someone explained it to me. And I acknowledged their post. So there was NO NEED for you to reiterate it.

So you're advocating going behind my father's back? Further I've already discussed why explaining to my father the truthprobably won't make a difference with another user.

In general I suggest you read ALL posts CAREFULLY before posting.

ReputationRep:
    4 pints of milk £1.10 at iceland
    10 eggs £1 at lidl

done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Militantbuthopeful)
    4 pints of milk £1.10 at iceland
    10 eggs £1 at lidl

done
    Lol I have tried the egg-milk combo - unfortunately my stomach can't stand it!

ReputationRep:
    Lol I have tried the egg-milk combo - unfortunately my stomach can't stand it!
    As in physically vomiting or as in it feels a bit funny? If the later just grin and bear it I'm afraid

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 17, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.