Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the coalition or the Lib-Dems will try or talk about making weed legal?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Note I have not smoked weed, just interested if they would.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsucks)

Discuss.
    if they do they'll make it a policy whereby only the toffs get off scott free. If the working class people take drugs we'll get imprisoned. Basically the ConDem coalition only stands up for the rights of the upper and middle classes so there will be a two tier system in every aspect of life.

ReputationRep:
    Why would they?
    It's a negitive influence to many people, there is no advantage on it being legal?

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    There is 0 chance of that happening.

ReputationRep:
    **** no. do you think mr cameron will have the balls to do something like that? also, the conservatives don't really have a good record when it comes to the economy and revenue streams etc. i don't think they will realise the government could make a hell of a lot of money from legalising and taxing marijuana. far too incompetent are the conservatives. quite ironic given the name.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a demerit good, they're hardly going to make such an arbitrary decision.

ReputationRep:
    U mad?

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for legalisation, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

One of the fall-downs of democracy, I'm afraid. Politicians will not address issues which will lose them too many votes, even if they are worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    I don't put 'Conservatives' and 'liberalising drugs' together, so no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    I'm all for legalisation, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

One of the fall-downs of democracy, I'm afraid. Politicians will not address issues which will lose them too many votes, even if they are worthwhile.
    Sorry but, in what way is addressing tuition fees going to not lose them many votes? Especially the libdems.

Maybe those are just stupid politicians.

ReputationRep:
    Ha no.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsucks)

Discuss.
    I think in around 10 years it will likely become an issue we see debated at elections. Until then I doubt we will hear anything close to talk of legalisation in public for a while

ReputationRep:
    No, but front line policing is facing cuts so it'll be safer to smoke as you're less likely to get caught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4994mm)
    Why would they?
    It's a negitive influence to many people, there is no advantage on it being legal?
    Other than all the money that could be made by taxing it, and the fact that it would eliminate a huge black market, putting many drug dealers out of business and thus cutting a lot of crime, no there are no advantages whatsoever:facepalm2:

Dont worry though, its highly unlikely to happen anytime soon. For any government in the world to legalise a high profile drug, they would first have to admit that have been completely wrong about prohibition, that it has actually caused more crime and violence, that they have wasted billions on this bull**** "war on drugs", and that people will always take drugs regardless of their legality.

Politicians hate to admit they are wrong, so you can rest easy tonight knowing that evil cannabis will remain illegal for now. Lets hope no violent drug dealers move into your neighbourhood eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    **** no. do you think mr cameron will have the balls to do something like that? also, the conservatives don't really have a good record when it comes to the economy and revenue streams etc. i don't think they will realise the government could make a hell of a lot of money from legalising and taxing marijuana. far too incompetent are the conservatives. quite ironic given the name.
    Clearly you have very little knowledge of the concept of irony. And the meaning of the word 'conservative'. And how the word 'conservative' differs from the Conservative Party. And politics. And basic grammar. Basically, a post full of fail.

And OP, well they haven't said that they haven't made a pledge to do it, so given their track record I reckon it's pretty likely.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed a though provoking thread, the government could stand to gain,Taxation on Weed,The police would save time and money trying to enforce a law which cannabis users could care less about.
    The users can also gain too.No shady dealings with less than reputable characters, Dont have to change your now soiled underwear when the popo come a knocking, Cannabis can be regulated just like food so people don't add crap into it to bulk out their stock.

Also there will be less violent protests because people will
    be so baked they won't know what planet their on.

Regards Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    Clearly you have very little knowledge of the concept of irony. And the meaning of the word 'conservative'. And how the word 'conservative' differs from the Conservative Party. And politics. And basic grammar. Basically, a post full of fail..
    i was being sarcastic and i chose to use the word 'conservative' itself in an attempt to indirectly criticise the conservative party. your grammar is poor because everybody knows you don't start a sentence with the word 'and' :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    Clearly you have very little knowledge of the concept of irony. And the meaning of the word 'conservative'. And how the word 'conservative' differs from the Conservative Party. And politics. And basic grammar. Basically, a post full of fail.

And OP, well they haven't said that they haven't made a pledge to do it, so given their track record I reckon it's pretty likely.
    It was in the Lib-Dem manifesto to decrimanise it so it might be something they might try to implement in the future, but then I guess it depends on what the Conservatives want as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.