Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    had my ears pierced about 2 months ago and not had a problem until now, one of my earlobes is swollen, throbbing a bit and theres some pus coming out when i take my earring out

should i leave my earring out overnight or will it be closed up by morning?
    any help?!

ReputationRep:
    I really thought that said swallowed...

It's something that is producing pus, possibly an infection. Leave the earring out, and go and get medical advice.

ReputationRep:
    Best to take the earring out. Wipe any pus that is coming out away with cotton wool, and then bathe it in salt water and then wipe it with any antiseptic wipes that you have. Because you had it done relatively recently, I would also put a plaster over it for overnight so nothing gets in it. In the morning , take it off, bathe in salt water again and see how it looks. If it's really angry and more pus is coming out I would go to a walk in centre and get it seen to, you don't want it to turn nasty.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, leave it in. You don't need help - it's a bit infected, it will sort itself out. Put some antiseptic on if you're concerned, but it will sort itself out no time.

I've had more infected ears then you could even dream of counting. Always clears itself up. If you take the earring out you risk it starting to close up, so when you go to put the earring back it'll be difficult.

Experience: I have 11 ear piercings, from the last 16 years.

ReputationRep:
    Wash your hands. Take the earring out. Bathe your earlobe in warm salt water. Plaster optional. Bathe 4 times tomorrow. See GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Nah, leave it in. You don't need help - it's a bit infected, it will sort itself out. Put some antiseptic on if you're concerned, but it will sort itself out no time.

I've had more infected ears then you could even dream of counting. Always clears itself up. If you take the earring out you risk it starting to close up, so when you go to put the earring back it'll be difficult.

Experience: I have 11 ear piercings, from the last 16 years.
    I've had like stuff coming out of it before but not this bad and not as swollen as it is now, thats my only concern :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shippy)
    I've had like stuff coming out of it before but not this bad and not as swollen as it is now, thats my only concern :/
    I've had some skank infections lol, they always fix themselves. I think you should leave it, bathe it in salt water if you want or antiseptic, but don't worry about it anyway.

Right now I have a bit of an infection in one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Well i'll leave it in for tonight, see how it is in the morning

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if it's infected, you're probably better off leaving the jewellery in as it will stop the piercing closing up and trapping the infection inside the lobe. Keep up with the salt soaks as usual, it should go down. If it doesn't, go see the doctor.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.