Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Okay so I have vasovagal/syncope/neurocardiogenic (which apart from having far too many names basically means I pass out sometimes) I spoke to my university after it being quite interfering at college last year.

I spoke the the support team with the essential idea in my head that they could just make lecturers aware of it formally rather than me telling everyone individually, and maybe ask them to open windows when its warm (heat is my main trigger, along with blood loss but I don't envisage much of that at university). However, they basically told me that they couldn't do anything support wise without my having DSA in place.
    So I applied and have been approved, and have my assessment during the Christmas study break. But I'm not quite sure what the devil I'm supposed to say in this assessment. I realise this is meant to be for equipment and stuff, but nothing I can think of that's of use to me costs anything. Unless they have windows that operate by coin or something!
    I mostly don't understand why they couldn't just have my doctors letter to prove that not being boiling in rooms might be rather helpful (although at least one lecturer is at least now very aware since I passed out on him this week). More pertinently to this I'm not entirely sure what possible funding implications opening a window might have (I can see the annoying other people implications, but money nope).

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had an assessment for vasovagal and what on earth they said?
    I pass out, I feel a bit dippy for a day or so and that's about it really. It's not massively impacting on my life (although inconvenient!) So what the heck am I possibly going to talk to someone for a two hour assessment about?

Sorry this is so very very long thanks for reading, and apologies for my terrible grammar my brain is really not in gear today.
    Clotty x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    x
    Just quoting myself. Will try and be back later.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd just update this in case there are any other wilty fainty people like me about ever
    I had my assessment yesterday, and it was as un-scary as all the other threads say. She was totally lovely, and was asking me about stuff that I'd never have even considered (I guess you kinda get used to working around stuff and assume that its normal/what everyone does). She offered me some stuff that seemed a bit pointless for me so I rejected it-a note taker and extra exam time (the latter on the basis that if I pass out mid exam an extra 25% time isn't gonna make any difference).
    She's sending me the draft on Mon/Tues so I will find out what her full recommendations are.
    I was quite wary to be honest but would absolutely encourage anyone who needs to, to apply. I'm almost not really that bothered about the recommendations it was so nice to have someone listen

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand this. Extra exam time is out of the remit of a DSA assessment. It is something that has to be arranged between you and the university itself. It was never mentioned during my DSA assessment but my university arranged it as my SSN had always had it in.

ReputationRep:
    Well its what she offered up *shrug*. She seems to have a good relationship with the university though so maybe she feels okay to offer it. To be fair they themselves offered it once already back in October.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.