Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Court Work Experience Employers Liability Insurance Help?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking work experience at Taunton Crown and Magistrate's courts next February, and I received a letter from HMCS informing me that, as representatives of the Crown, they had no employers liability insurance, and that I needed to "indemnify the department against any liability for personal injury and loss of, to damage to, personal property where you are negligent."

I assume that I need insurance, but as I have absolutely no knowledge of the insurance industry, (apart from the price of Car insurance :P) I don't know what insurance I need. Having combed the internet for hours, I have had no luck in finding a solution...

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    D

ReputationRep:
    *bump*
    seriously, people, I need some help with this. I can't find anything anywhere else online, and unless I do somehting about this, I won't be able to take this work experience...
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.P.R.)
    *bump*
    seriously, people, I need some help with this. I can't find anything anywhere else online, and unless I do somehting about this, I won't be able to take this work experience...
    I don't think it means that you have to take out insurance. I think it means that you have to sign something (ie a form when you arrive) that you will not make a claim against them (indemnify them) if you injure yourself or lose something while working in the court and it was your fault.

But how about you ring them up and ask for clarification of what they mean?

ReputationRep:
    Hey do you know what it means? I have the same letter and mines in september, tried finding some sort of insurance and nothing. Do we just need to write a letter saying they are not responsible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.P.R.)
    I'm taking work experience at Taunton Crown and Magistrate's courts next February, and I received a letter from HMCS informing me that, as representatives of the Crown, they had no employers liability insurance, and that I needed to "indemnify the department against any liability for personal injury and loss of, to damage to, personal property where you are negligent."
    I got the same letter - what does it mean?

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone,

I work for a business insurer and I thought I would quickly give you an explanation of the term "indemnify" - it means to put something back in the way it was before an event - it seems to me that what they are asking from you is if you cause any damage or cause injury or financial loss to anyone while you are on-site you will pay to put it back the way it was before - to indemnify.

Kind Regards

Tim Hamstead

Simply Business

ReputationRep:
    Just in case anyone is looking I e-mailed someone at the court and this was her reply

have just looked (should of in the first place!) and I see that you are a student at Exeter University and in that case we do not require you to do anything about the indemnity insurance - this would be if you were at college or school and we ask that the place that you attend sign something on the student's behalf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.