Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What type of people do you think study/do study Classics? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about studying Classics at Uni (Manchester, Nottingham, Kings CL)
    and was wondering if anyone could tell me about the type of people who they know who study classics or what type of people they think would?

ReputationRep:
    The person I know who studies Classics is...I don't really know how to describe her, she wasn't one of my close friends. A feminist, introspective, spiritual, loves to dance, loving, insecure. Dress sense somewhere between rockabilly and Stepford Wife, a total geek for classical civilisation. Loves Come Dine With Me and performing in Greek plays in equal measure.

ReputationRep:
    They are awesome.
    I wish i could study that kind of course or something thats related to arts/history.

ReputationRep:
    I assume the kind of people who study it are girls who aim to marry a rich guy because it isn't exactly a degree that has a vast amount of related jobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    The type of people who make UCAS decisions based on stereotypes.
    Thiiiisssss.

ReputationRep:
    Rahs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terpsikhore)
    The person I know who studies Classics is...I don't really know how to describe her, she wasn't one of my close friends. A feminist, introspective, spiritual, loves to dance, loving, insecure. Dress sense somewhere between rockabilly and Stepford Wife, a total geek for classical civilisation. Loves Come Dine With Me and performing in Greek plays in equal measure.
    She sounds kind of awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I dont study classics at uni, albeit I will be taking a class in classic civilisations text term. The subject itself is really fascinating imo, although im not sure of all it entails, it really is quite an amazing course, especially examining ancient linguistics etc. My university does not offer classics so im not sure what 'type' of people study it, although 2 of my friends study it at ware wick. They are quite nerdy, but that said there would be a mix of people imo.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone who likes classics is nerdy, i know a guy doing ancient history/ classics, and he is not nerdy in the slightest, he just finds his course really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    People who love Donna Tartt's 'The Secret History', people who like quoting from obscure Greek texts and people who like history, languages and literature?
    I've always thought Classics seemed damn awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Only the most awesome people are able to study Classics, or they throw you out.

ReputationRep:
    This is kind of a hard question since people who study it rarely fit into one category, my course is full of diverse people so to try and place them all into one description is impossible, the only thing I can say that we all have in common is our love for classics.

ReputationRep:
    I would think they are extremely interesting people, since I have a strong interest in that department too. I could only do Latin up to GCSE and not Greek at all, but I thought it was fascinating, and I'm a nut for ancient civillisations

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.