Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To anyone who ever has disliked the daily mail. Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is a thread about the daily mail. Well, that's a lie, that's the opposite of what this thread is about.
    This is a thread about tea and kittens, and them being the saviour of those of us who would rather visit nice sites.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/235801/

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy the Daily Mail website.

Their comment section (so patronising: 'have YOUR comment, little man') never fails to provide one with a good laugh.

ReputationRep:
    That's amusing. If I used Firefox regularly, I'd get it.

But then.... I wouldn't be able to participate in the stimulating debates that ensue on TSR when someone posts a Daily Mail article...

Comparing the Daily Mail with serious news outlets can provide humorous results.

Stay safe, kids, and be careful of the paedophiles and brown people.

ReputationRep:
      Whilst I get that this isn't what this thread's about, it actually does really annoy me when people disregard a story because of its source.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CyclopsRock)
      Whilst I get that this isn't what this thread's about, it actually does really annoy me when people disregard a story because of its source.

If something comes out of a toilet, it is most likely poo.

ReputationRep:
      The Guardian is as bad as the Daily Mail. The Guardian is a leftist, liberal, self-apologetic, self-hating, multi-cultural, reactionary ****rag

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PlanetEuropa)
      The Guardian is as bad as the Daily Mail. The Guardian is a leftist, liberal, self-apologetic, self-hating, multi-cultural, reactionary ****rag
      Whilst the daily fail is awful, this post is on the level of the daily express. Don't worry the add-on covers that as well.

ReputationRep:
      Really? That's exactly how I'd judge a piece of journalism (stretching the definition) at first glance, by seeing who it was written by.

Obviously, I'd read it next to confirm my initial judgement.

ReputationRep:
      I'm sure that the agenda of the daily mail is of course to report on events that are, and it in no way ever would take things out of context, twist the meaning out of what people say to resemble a headline that, in actual fact, has no relevance to anything and wouldn't in any circumstances show a political bias beyond that of the vast majority of news papers in the UK.

OOHHHH, KITTENS AND TEA!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      Comparing the Daily Mail with serious news outlets can provide humorous results.

Stay safe, kids, and be careful of the paedophiles and brown people.

At least no one forces you to buy the daily mail,if you want to read other newspapers, and if you refuse, sends in the heavys to bang on your door. (like the BBC). At least the mail, doesn't pretend it isn't a right wing leaning newspaper,little better than a tabloid, when the BBC,tries to pretend it is fair and balanced,when it's own senior staff say it isn't.

So I don't really understand peoples hate of the mail,if you don't like whats in it,just don't read it, or look at the website, nothing will happen to you.

While the mail,does like to select certain stories and does, put it's own twist to them, it does sometimes, break certain stories,that other news outlets then cover, and there are certain interesting stories you will read in the mail,that you won't see on the BBC, because it doesn't suit the BBC's political swing. Just remember as well that, while people on this website **** off the mail, it is the second most bought newspaper in the country, so you are in a minority in what you think of it , or perhaps you are closet case mail readers.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by there's too much love)
      Whilst the daily fail is awful, this post is on the level of the daily express. Don't worry the add-on covers that as well.
      Daily fail, going down to the gutter level as well with your own post...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by there's too much love)
      I'm sure that the agenda of the daily mail is of course to report on events that are, and it in no way ever would take things out of context, twist the meaning out of what people say to resemble a headline that, in actual fact, has no relevance to anything and wouldn't in any circumstances show a political bias beyond that of the vast majority of news papers in the UK.

OOHHHH, KITTENS AND TEA!
      Very good! I liked that sarcasm there.

You're talking as if that sarcastic description wouldn't fit literally every news outlet in the world. The Guardian, the BBC, The Times, the Independent - well, except the kittens and tea bit (they also like owls a lot, incidentally). That's my point - people going "DAILY FAIL!!" and ignore it - but unless they do that for literally everything they read ("GRUNIAD FAIL!") then you're being a hypocrit. I'm not saying you shouldn't approach articles with scepticism - you're a fool if you don't - but that's an entirely different thing to disregarding it out of hand (which is, afterall, what I actually claimed in the first place - not that it was an unbiased piece of scripture as your post would make out, so congratulations on joining the Daily Mail school of misinformation and word-twisting).

ReputationRep:
      My flatmate has a copy of the Daily Mail in his bedroom because the headline concerned the first student protest in London. Wanna know what it was?

Click

It confused me for a while until I realised what paper it was.

ReputationRep:
      I suppose your hatred of The Guardian is nothing to do with the fact that is if one of the only left leaning publications available then? Putting it on the same level as the Daily Mail, well, putting anything on the same level Daily Mail is just insulting really...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Skoji)
      My flatmate has a copy of the Daily Mail in his bedroom because the headline concerned the first student protest in London. Wanna know what it was?

Click

Of course as I click on that, i see kittens and tea .

ReputationRep:
      Very good! I liked that sarcasm there.

You're talking as if that sarcastic description wouldn't fit literally every news outlet in the world. The Guardian, the BBC, The Times, the Independent - well, except the kittens and tea bit (they also like owls a lot, incidentally). That's my point - people going "DAILY FAIL!!" and ignore it - but unless they do that for literally everything they read ("GRUNIAD FAIL!") then you're being a hypocrit. I'm not saying you shouldn't approach articles with scepticism - you're a fool if you don't - but that's an entirely different thing to disregarding it out of hand (which is, afterall, what I actually claimed in the first place - not that it was an unbiased piece of scripture as your post would make out, so congratulations on joining the Daily Mail school of misinformation and word-twisting).
      My point isn't that the daily mail is bias, it's that it's so bias that extracting meaning from the vast majority of it's articles is damned impossible. It is so detached from reality that it simply cannot be trusted. Other newspapers, of course are bias, but not to the same extent, and in the same illogical way, as the daily mail.
      Well that's not strictly true, there's the express, the sun etc.
      However I wouldn't call it dismissing out of hand, it's based on their reputation. There are so many terrible articles that it becomes improbable that the article you are reading has anything to do with the actual event it's attempting (pretending) to 'report' on.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Skoji)

Click

Those two black guys look like they are in an 80's pop band

ReputationRep:
      The fact that you use leftist, liberal and multi-cultral as insults is rather revealing.
      I suppose a better newspaper would be rightist, authoritarian and endorse segregation of races?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ministerdonut)
      At least no one forces you to buy the daily mail,if you want to read other newspapers, and if you refuse, sends in the heavys to bang on your door. (like the BBC). At least the mail, doesn't pretend it isn't a right wing leaning newspaper,little better than a tabloid, when the BBC,tries to pretend it is fair and balanced,when it's own senior staff say it isn't.

So I don't really understand peoples hate of the mail,if you don't like whats in it,just don't read it, or look at the website, nothing will happen to you.

While the mail,does like to select certain stories and does, put it's own twist to them, it does sometimes, break certain stories,that other news outlets then cover, and there are certain interesting stories you will read in the mail,that you won't see on the BBC, because it doesn't suit the BBC's political swing. Just remember as well that, while people on this website **** off the mail, it is the second most bought newspaper in the country, so you are in a minority in what you think of it , or perhaps you are closet case mail readers.
      I don't think i understood a single word of that, could you try not using a comma after every third word?
      Also the first paragraph makes absolutely no sense even when you decipher it. Since when does the BBC come round and bang on your door if you refuse to buy other newspapers?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.