Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MSc in human factors.Loughborough or Nottingham. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Got admissions for MSc in human factors 2011-2012 in Loughborough and Nottingham. Advice which to choose and why?

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham has a great reputation...while I don't think I've heard of Loughborough. So I recommend Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    lough is more recognised in the field ...Ive been told that its best for ergonomics (by one of the very few people who know what it actually is lol)
    ...may i ask what your BSc is in? ...im thinking of doing the undergrad course at loughborough

ReputationRep:
    They're both pretty close in the league tables but Nottingham is in the Russell Group so slightly better? Also depends on whether you'd prefer a campus uni (Loughborough) or the city?

ReputationRep:
    I just had a quick look at both of the courses and I think they are quite different. For one, the nottingham course is part of the engineering dept whereas at loughborough it's in the design school. Therefore, i suspect the focus of the courses might be quite different and routes out of the course might be different.

Do you consider yourself to be an engineer who wants to gain greater knowledge of human factors? Or a designer who wants a greater knowledge of human factors? Are you interested in research methods? Are you interested in a particular domain - e.g. technology, safety-critical systems, design for factors based on odler adults or those with disabilities?

The module lists for each course varies considerably... i would focus on looking at this when choosing between the two, and ignore league tables/russell group/reputation. At MSc level it is more important to focus your study on what you want to learn about in more depth, rather than the reputation of the university.

I studied for an MSc in Human-Centered Interactive Technologies at York - i chose the course for many reasons (including the fact that i did my undergrad at York and love it here) but i *knew* that my interest in human factors is focused on human use of technology/computing so this was a very good course for me. I also thought that i wanted to go into research rather than design so wanted a course that involved lots of research methods (and the York course has a BIG focus on this area).

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am very biased as I went to Loughborough for undergrad and absolutely loved it! I would really recommend going there, campus is lovely, social life is great and resources really are excellent. I'm surprised to hear people haven't heard of Loughborough, I believe they're 9th this year while Nottingham are 21st? It really is a great uni.

Although, 2 very good friends really enjoyed their time at Nottingham, and on quality they're probably on a par, though the atmosphere on both campuses was noticeably different I always though. Loughborough felt more laid back and Nottingham always felt a bit tense? I think either uni will be just as good, but my vote is for Loughborough

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.