Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to study Japanese in 2012, however, my main concern about this is that the UCAS system will only allow me to submit one personal statement.

Let's imagine that in the worst case scenario, I am rejected by all of my five choices, which is possible, as the majority of universities that offer this are "red bricks".

This would leave me with only a very small number of remaining institutions offering Japanese as a major, which I may have to apply to via UCAS Extra. If I were to be unsuccessful at this stage, would there be anywhere for me to go with regard to clearing?

Does anyone have any idea how I would resolve this little situation? Being stuck in clearing, with a personal statement tailored towards a subject I can no longer apply for. Am I allowed to submit a plan B personal statement for such a scenario?

Will appreciate your two cents on this, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well currently I submitted my Personal Statement, and we was told to make it tailored to your subject you want to study but make it vague. Why don't you make your Personal Statement focus on a variety of things you would like to do?

Or make it vague, yet somewhat driven to certain subjects?

I hope this makes sense, I'm sorry If I am no help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex1986)
    I am looking to study Japanese in 2012, however, my main concern about this is that the UCAS system will only allow me to submit one personal statement.

Let's imagine that in the worst case scenario, I am rejected by all of my five choices, which is possible, as the majority of universities that offer this are "red bricks".

This would leave me with only a very small number of remaining institutions offering Japanese as a major, which I may have to apply to via UCAS Extra. If I were to be unsuccessful at this stage, would there be anywhere for me to go with regard to clearing?

Does anyone have any idea how I would resolve this little situation? Being stuck in clearing, with a personal statement tailored towards a subject I can no longer apply for. Am I allowed to submit a plan B personal statement for such a scenario?

Will appreciate your two cents on this, thanks.
    First of all, I find it unlikely you'll be rejected through every avenue before Clearing for Japanese - it's not a popular subject. However, say you are in Clearing; first question is, would you want to study another subject? Because you don't have to take what you can get, a gap year is an option.

For the sake of argument, say you are applying elsewhere. Plenty of people change course in Clearing, some subtly - French to French with German for example - and some dramatically - I went from maths to optometry, for example.

A lot of Clearing comes down to what you say over the phone. If you can convince them why you're changing course whilst speaking to them, they may not require an alternative PS because they'll just get what you said written down. This is why it's a good idea to have your strategy planned out in advance. Also, it's hit and miss whether they'll even read your original PS.

If they do require an alternative PS, you'll have to e-mail it to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex1986)
    If you apply via extra or via clearing you are able to change your personal statement and send a new one directly to the university. Many people make fairly big changes to their choices during this time and universities acknowledge it by letting you send a new PS.

You might find, for example, that all of the straight Japanese courses are gone in extra but there are joint honours courses available which might interest you meaning yes, you could send a new PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    for Japanese - it's not a popular subject.
    Actually Japanese is a stupidly popular subject with about 200 applicants to every 20 places

but it's very unlikely you'll be rejected from all 5 but there is always extra and even after that although most to all of the straight japanese places will be gone there are alot of unis offering combined honours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smileree)
    Actually Japanese is a stupidly popular subject with about 200 applicants to every 20 places

but it's very unlikely you'll be rejected from all 5 but there is always extra and even after that although most to all of the straight japanese places will be gone there are alot of unis offering combined honours.
    6.3 applicants to every place in the last cycle... That is actually pretty competitive. My apologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    6.3 applicants to every place in the last cycle... That is actually pretty competitive. My apologies.
    It's ok
    I was alittle touchy cause I applied for Japanese this year and those figures really paniced me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.