Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Society has no respect for sluts because... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think I may have worked out why society doesnt like promiscuous women. Society expects women to have self respect, men to have little to none. I personally think this reflects better on women. And obviously if a woman has promiscuous sex this goes against society's expectations and we lose respect for the woman. If a guy does the same, well, lets just say its expected.

Maybe a lack of self respect isnt required to have promiscuous sex but it certainly helps

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? I love promiscuous women!

ReputationRep:
    Every girl has a slutty friend.
    If you don't, then you are the slutty friend.

ReputationRep:
    Elementary!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the sooner the rest of them come down to our level the better.. They're the ones calling for gender equality right?

ReputationRep:
    Being a slut can be fun :sexface:

...not that i'm a slut lol. But generally, it's considered a bad thing, but I don't see why it should be.

ReputationRep:
    Because if a **** gets herself knocked up out of her own carelessness, a mans got to pay for her mistake!

Since a man is under pressure to be good in bed the more partners a girl has had, the more sampled competition. They don't like this, so they don't like girls sleeping around and turn it into a bad thing. Same with wives and gfs who won't put out till they get what they want - they don't want their partner to be able to go clubbing and get laid easily.

ReputationRep:
    How does engaging in casual sex imply a lack of self respect?

ReputationRep:
    The reason why women sleep around is because they want to feel loved. It not the same for men. Men don't really get attached. They do it for the pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HayThereMardyBum)
    Every girl has a slutty friend.
    If you don't, then you are the slutty friend.
    Jo Caulfield :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Behaving)
    Being a slut can be fun :sexface:

...not that i'm a slut lol. But generally, it's considered a bad thing, but I don't see why it should be.
    Yea, see the last part of my post. While promiscuous sex isnt always bad it is when the person has no self-respect.

ReputationRep:
    because they are sluts

ReputationRep:
    The non-sluts are jealous they can't get **** so pretend to be anti-slut, when really they want a slutty lifestyle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BambieWambie)
    The reason why women sleep around is because they want to feel loved. It not the same for men. Men don't really get attached. They do it for the pleasure.
    Good point, very true. I think selfcontrol too. Lets face it; men are animals, they/we go for what we want regardless of whether it may be damaging to ourselves or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinqueta)
    The non-sluts are jealous they can't get **** so pretend to be anti-slut, when really they want a slutty lifestyle
    Been there, done that!. I think most teenage girls act like sluts. I have a boyfriend so i dont need to go around looking for ****.

ReputationRep:
    I guess a slut gave me that thumbs down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    I think I may have worked out why society doesnt like promiscuous women. Society expects women to have self respect, men to have little to none. I personally think this reflects better on women. And obviously if a woman has promiscuous sex this goes against society's expectations and we lose respect for the woman. If a guy does the same, well, lets just say its expected.

Maybe a lack of self respect isnt required to have promiscuous sex but it certainly helps
    I see so many threads like this that it almost feels mean to pick on yours. You really are asking for it, though, I'm afraid.

Soooo the logic of your argument is this: women aren't meant to have sex with different people to find sexual gratification, whilst men can do that as much as they like. Women should be happy with this situation because deep down it makes them 'better' with men - so actually they're the superior ones (despite potentially having less freedom, less fun, and being more harshly judged for their actions). Well that's just great. What fantastic consolation.

It reminds me of the days when women could be raped, beaten and deserted by their husbands at any time, couldn't earn their own money without being evicted from middle-class society, couldn't own any property of their own for most of their lives, couldn't vote, couldn't go out in public without a man and weren't allowed to voice their opinions. This was how this country was two hundred years ago. At the time those women were told they were actually the lucky ones - they were special because they had this virtue and purity that made them more moral and caring than men. Oh, and by the way - back in those days any woman who seemed to enjoy sex too much with her husband was denounced as having no self-respect.

Oh, and another thing: women tending to be less promiscuous than men might sometimes be about 'self-respect' these days, in some cases. But that's not why society judges them differently. Attitudes towards women's sex are rooted in a past when women were literally the property of their fathers or husbands. 'Slut-shaming' has never been about respecting women. It's been about keeping them 'chaste' so that they are more valuable assets for the men around them.

I hardly need to point out that men who have sex with lots of different people are not LESS RESPECTED on the whole. They are more respected. Because men and women are being judged by different standards - there are different goal posts in place for what 'self respect' is suposed to involve. I think that's pretty ****.

Please don't impose your pathetic double-standards on other people's desire for sexual pleasure. Your thinking has no place in 21st century Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BambieWambie)
    Well that's just simply untrue. Plenty of women sleep around for pleasure, and plenty of men sleep around for the feeling of being wanted/for the respect they get from other guys/for the sense of being cool.

Women don't like promiscuous women because they're jealous; men don't like promiscuous women because they're intimidated. See, I can make generalizations too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Behaving)
    The problem with people who get called sluts is not that they're sexually liberated, it implies a sort of desperation. Mainly girls who are willing to give themselves over entirely (and not just physically) to men and think it's a good strategy to find love, or get a job, or whatever else. It rarely works because others (both genders) don't respect girls who behave in this way.

Sex is, in general, a submissive thing for women. Female sexuality is very different indeed from male sexuality.

(Original post by Roloqueen)
    I hardly need to point out that men who have sex with lots of different people are not LESS RESPECTED on the whole. They are more respected.
    I don't think that's true. Sex is subject to a lot of back-slapping and fun, but you'd hardly respect a promiscuous man either. He's not the sort of person you'd want your sister to marry or introduce to your parents. There's a difference between the respect of the bar room - and I'd suggest that even that isn't given by other men who are comfortable with their own romantic and sexual lives - and genuine respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRushton)
    Well that's just simply untrue. Plenty of women sleep around for pleasure, and plenty of men sleep around for the feeling of being wanted/for the respect they get from other guys/for the sense of being cool.

Women don't like promiscuous women because they're jealous; men don't like promiscuous women because they're intimidated. See, I can make generalizations too.
    I done an access to counselling course. Why would i be jealous of a promiscuous woman? I'd feel sorry for her, i wouldn't be envious

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.