Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Sorry to start another thread about topic help! But I need it.

I'm writing about the film "Battleship Potemkin", and another written account of the 1905 revolution. My topic isn't clearly defined, because I need to decide between two paths for which I can take the assignment. I can:

a) Write about how accurately the film describes the social situation leading to the revolutions of 1905 (possibly also 1917). Compared to the written account.
    or
    b) Write about how the film represents the propagande use of the Soviet state in the 1920s (film is from 1925). Comparing it to a written account of propaganda use.

Which is the better topic to go for?

Thanks for all help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lds66)
    Hi

Sorry to start another thread about topic help! But I need it.

I'm writing about the film "Battleship Potemkin", and another written account of the 1905 revolution. My topic isn't clearly defined, because I need to decide between two paths for which I can take the assignment. I can:

a) Write about how accurately the film describes the social situation leading to the revolutions of 1905 (possibly also 1917). Compared to the written account.
    or
    b) Write about how the film represents the propagande use of the Soviet state in the 1920s (film is from 1925). Comparing it to a written account of propaganda use.

Which is the better topic to go for?

Thanks for all help
    I hear film is much harder to do than just a book. Did your teacher specifically say that's a good idea? Otherwise I wouldn't go for it, because I originally wanted to analyse the "Untergang" and how reliable it is in depicting Hitler, his personality and his last actions, but my teacher said that he's not seen any good IA's (he has looooooads of IB samples) which were based on movies. Not to say it isn't possible, but I think it might be more difficult.

Also, the topic which you want, is not purely about comparing 2 sources, thats only one section (i think C) of 5. Your topic needs to ask a more fundamental question, like "how did this happen?" or "to what extent was bla responsible for bla?" You will have to compare two sources with whatever you do anyway, but your whole essay can't be about that, as far as I remember.

E.g. you could change your topic to something like "In what ways did Russian propaganda use past 'achievements' of the workers to build a national identity and pride in the communist party?" bla bla and then you can talk about lots of propaganda, use the potemkin mutiny as a specific example in section C and compare it to what actually happened.

ReputationRep:
    You're right, it needs to be more relevant to analysis of a historical event. Although, one of the examples of essay titles we got, reads: "How and why did the accounts of the storming of the Winter Palace in October 1917 differ in the film, October, and in the book, A People's Tragedy, The Russian Revolution 1891-1924?"

So it looks as though it can be done. But it seems hard. And if your experienced teacher advised you against it, I'm taking his word for it. Because my teacher is inexperienced with IB history – we are her first ever class – and unorganised in her feedback.

Thanks heeps! This was really helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.