Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This video popped up into my youtube account this morning ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4MWB...ayer_embedded#!

The man is the 'spokesman' for the EDL. Now his speech is piss poor (he repeats himself at least 5 times, as well as demonstrating his lack of knowledge in common law) but he portrays the EDL less as a reactionary group about Islam and more of a product of an ongoing class war. Again, as the EDL attracts mostly working class men and women, many of whom are unemployed with little prospects, perhaps the group is the means of such people trying to consolidate their own identities, in this case through false patriotism. Ironically, this is very similar to islamic extremist groups, of which many recruits are also disenchanted young people and easily manipulated. Is the EDL then less about Islam than it is about the degrading of the working class in Europe as they are effectively priced out of the job market ?

anyway someones already said this before I think....

ReputationRep:
    EDL is something that should be good and encouraged, unfortunately it attracts racists which ruins it form within, the real joke is the UAF and MDL though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    EDL is something that should be good and encouraged, unfortunately it attracts racists which ruins it form within, the real joke is the UAF and MDL though.
    Why is the EDL good ? They may want to tackle islamic extremism, but how does trashing up cities, causing havoc and disrupting local people solve anything ? Most 'islamists' tend to work in sleeper cells that are hidden, so unless the EDL think that by marching they will scare these sleeper cells, what they are doing is absolutely useless and time wasting.

similarly, why are the UAF and MDL bad ? the EDL attack Islam frivolously, seperating it from other religions and presenting its followers as evil and anti-british, despite the fact that most muslims couldnt really give a **** about the 'global jihad' in the same way anjem chowdhury might. But when you seperate muslims and label them as the enemy, you should expect them to fight for their right to worship-hence the MDL. Similarly, whilst I may not principally agree with the actions of the UAF, I can see how the EDL is threatening and how a vanguard is needed to protect minorities who are under threat from these thugs.

either way, if civilised debate was used rather than destruction and chaos, perhaps there would be greater clarity.

ReputationRep:
    UAF and MDL lol pathetic. I think the EDL have a good cause but the left wing media tries to ruin it so much I mean if they love terrorists so much im sure we can organise the Taliban bombing BBC headquarters. Im not sure why people call the EDL nazis when especially most the muslims who counter the edl or attack them dislike jews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    Why is the EDL good ? They may want to tackle islamic extremism, but how does trashing up cities, causing havoc and disrupting local people solve anything ? Most 'islamists' tend to work in sleeper cells that are hidden, so unless the EDL think that by marching they will scare these sleeper cells, what they are doing is absolutely useless and time wasting.

similarly, why are the UAF and MDL bad ? the EDL attack Islam frivolously, seperating it from other religions and presenting its followers as evil and anti-british, despite the fact that most muslims couldnt really give a **** about the 'global jihad' in the same way anjem chowdhury might. But when you seperate muslims and label them as the enemy, you should expect them to fight for their right to worship-hence the MDL. Similarly, whilst I may not principally agree with the actions of the UAF, I can see how the EDL is threatening and how a vanguard is needed to protect minorities who are under threat from these thugs.

either way, if civilised debate was used rather than destruction and chaos, perhaps there would be greater clarity.

UAF are hypocrites

ReputationRep:
    jesus christ its like speaking to a bunch of idiots.

ReputationRep:
    i completely agree with you, it is

there is nothing good about the EDL.

ReputationRep:
    What the EDL actually stand for is good imo. At the end of the day, everyone (whether Muslim or non Muslim) should be against Islamic extremism. But it seems as though what could be essentially a good organisation has been hijacked by racists who don't like anyone with a different skin tone. I do agree with what other people in this thread have said though, the UAF imo are just the same (extremist trouble makers.)

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.