Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The actual Indian accent Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well guys..this is the actual Indian accent
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdkXIHNbEvY

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, when you put on a "fake" Indian accent, it doesn't sound any different to your normal one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I'll be honest, when you put on a "fake" Indian accent, it doesn't sound any different to your normal one.
    yeah cos I'm not too good at putting on a 'fake' indian accent....cos I talk normally.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't mean to offend you or anything but I think I have to agree with what is said above.
    There really isn't that much of a difference between your 'normal' and 'fake' accent. One might be a bit stronger but that's about it.

Your vocal tract is set to the language you acquire from birth and it is really difficult to change that especially when languages are so different. Most people who are born in India and come to the UK will always keep that Indian touch, there is not much you can do about it, nor is there anything wrong with it. That's just the way it goes.

(Original post by varunjog)
    yeah cos I'm not too good at putting on a 'fake' indian accent....cos I talk normally.
    Then why make a YouTube video about YOU proving that Indians in fact don't speak like we think they do and put it on the student room? I can promise you, the majority of TSR won't take this well ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    I really don't mean to offend you or anything but I think I have to agree with what is said above.
    There really isn't that much of a difference between your 'normal' and 'fake' accent. One might be a bit stronger but that's about it.

Your vocal tract is set to the language you acquire from birth and it is really difficult to change that especially when languages are so different. Most people who are born in India and come to the UK will always keep that Indian touch, there is not much you can do about it, nor is there anything wrong with it. That's just the way it goes.
    I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. Maybe it wasnt the best impression..but seriously..have you heard Russell Peters' Indian accent? Now, don't I sound different from that? And yes, one is a bit stronger. that is it.

ReputationRep:

Then why make a YouTube video about YOU proving that Indians in fact don't speak like we think they do and put it on the student room? I can promise you, the majority of TSR won't take this well ^^
    I don't really care,TSR is just one of the forums where I've posted this. It's primarily for Facebook and my youtube channel followers. Also, this wasn't really supposed to be offensive in any way. Plus, I also felt I was giving out a bit of information, did you hear the part when I said that 80% of Indians can't speak English at all?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. Maybe it wasnt the best impression..but seriously..have you heard Russell Peters' Indian accent? Now, don't I sound different from that? And yes, one is a bit stronger. that is it.
    Look you are missing out on HUGE things here. To you Russell Peters' Indian accent might sound completely different but that is because you are Indian yourself. You know what Indian really sounds like and you have probably heard many indian people speak english meaning you can easily say ''he has a better accent than him''

But we (most people in the UK) haven't got a clue about languages from India so to us it ALL sounds the same.

This issue is similar to europeans often find it more difficult to keep loads of chinese people apart whereas they have no problems with other europeans..

You get my point?

Indians speak like they have something stuck up in their arse :P

ReputationRep:
    Look you are missing out on HUGE things here. To you Russell Peters' Indian accent might sound completely different but that is because you are Indian yourself. You know what Indian really sounds like and you have probably heard many indian people speak english meaning you can easily say ''he has a better accent than him''

But we (most people in the UK) haven't got a clue about languages from India so to us it ALL sounds the same.

This issue is similar to europeans often find it more difficult to keep loads of chinese people apart whereas they have no problems with other europeans..

You get my point?
    right pop_tart i get your point. why are you getting so offensive? As I said, TSR is just one of the forums I've posted this on because I am a regular poster. However, this video is one which will be appreciated probably only in India but since I want to promote my channel everywhere, I am posting every youtube video on each forum I am a member of. End of. Peace.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care,TSR is just one of the forums where I've posted this. It's primarily for Facebook and my youtube channel followers. Also, this wasn't really supposed to be offensive in any way. Plus, I also felt I was giving out a bit of information, did you hear the part when I said that 80% of Indians can't speak English at all?
    Oh no I didn't feel offended in anyway The fact that 80% of Indians can't speak English doesn't mean anything to me ... Most of the people in South-America only speak Spanish and not English? I don't really get your point :/

The thing is what sounds different to you doesn't mean it sounds different to us too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no I didn't feel offended in anyway The fact that 80% of Indians can't speak English doesn't mean anything to me ... Most of the people in South-America only speak Spanish and not English? I don't really get your point :/

The thing is what sounds different to you doesn't mean it sounds different to us too.
    OKAY! lol..this is a ridiculous debate actually. Sorry for making a 'pointless' thread(which btw isn't an alien concept to TSR users).....

ReputationRep:
    Im English and rather well spoken yet i dont think i sound anything like americans putting on a posh english accent (like the one on friends... you know who i mean..). Im pretty sure anyone with any kind of accents could argue this case.... that so and so doing an impression of them sounds nothing like them...
    its just the way of the world...

but then what also could be said is that you dont sound like the indian guy who lives down the road... no 2 people sound identicle... so how can someone do an impression of whole load of people without someone going well i dont sound like that...

i hope that kind of made sense
    x

ReputationRep:
    right pop_tart i get your point. why are you getting so offensive? As I said, TSR is just one of the forums I've posted this on because I am a regular poster. However, this video is one which will be appreciated probably only in India but since I want to promote my channel everywhere, I am posting every youtube video on each forum I am a member of. End of. Peace.
    You think I'm being offensive? Well I'm sorry about that! I really didn't mean to offend you, I promise I'm interested in languages and linguistics and I actually found it interesting how you pointed out that you can hear so many differences but we can't simple because we are not familiar with the language.

I have no problems with you putting up any videos or you in general I was just saying that the TSR community can be quite harsh! and they might take all of it the wrong way. Sorry if I was vague.

ReputationRep:
    You think I'm being offensive? Well I'm sorry about that! I really didn't mean to offend you, I promise I'm interested in languages and linguistics and I actually found it interesting how you pointed out that you can hear so many differences but we can't simple because we are not familiar with the language.

I have no problems with you putting up any videos or you in general I was just saying that the TSR community can be quite harsh! and they might take all of it the wrong way. Sorry if I was vague.
    cheers. I am a budding impressonist and am trying to learn as many accents as I can. If you're interested, please check out my afrikaner accent video on youtube.

ReputationRep:
    lol indian/paki accent is a joke, it's like it was deliberately made for comedy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    lol indian/paki accent is a joke, it's like it was deliberately made for comedy

ok now see, i don't sound like that guy do i? :P

ReputationRep:
    Mate, no one thinks russell peters gives an accurate depiction of the indian or chinese accents, he's a COMEDIAN for God's sake, he's gonna make it sound funny. Pretty much everyone knows someone who actually has an indian accent...

ReputationRep:
    Okay OP, I know you meant to clear the air about how Indians really speak, and your intentions were good, but you came off sounding a bit rude. Obviously the Western media depicts Indian accents badly, but they do the same with Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and pretty much anything they can use...it's no different than Indians butchering other Indian accents (South Indian imitating a Punjabi, etc). It's meant to be funny! Most people understand that, and the ones who don't will be pleasantly surprised.

And I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of the Indian population speaks English. Maybe not well, but they do have basic language skills.

ReputationRep:
    Well guys..this is the actual Indian accent
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdkXIHNbEvY
    As a British born Indian, I couldn't actually tell the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    As a British born Indian, I couldn't actually tell the difference.
    thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.